Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iīm a user of kurumin, a sitro based on Knoppix. Actually, itīs just a Debian testing. My HD was divided into a main reiserfs partition and a swap one. Because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lost data when resizing reiserfs

Iīm a user of kurumin, a sitro based on Knoppix. Actually, itīs just a Debian testing.

My HD was divided into a main reiserfs partition and a swap one. Because I needed a small fat32 partition, I used Qtparted to shrink the reiserfs one, and then I used cfdisk to create the fat32 partition (should I have rebooted the computer before using cfdisk? I dontīt know.). Then I rebooted the computer, and received a lot of error messages. A lot of data was gone, include parts of /home and the whole /var ! I then backed up my /home into the newly created fat32 partition and run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on the reiserfs partiton. All I got was dozens of thousands of files in /lost+found. I cannot search those files myself. But I need those data in /home. What can I do? Is there a way to know wich files in lost+found come from /home? Is there a software wich may help? Could software like those from Ontrack help me? Anything else could help me?

thanks in forward

ps: Iīm sorry for the bad English and for the length of this e-mail.

If you shrunk the reiser partition, then you're pretty much SOL. To shrink a reiserfs partition, you have to use a program called resize_reiserfs (included with reiserfstools) to shrink the filesystem first. Then you can use fdisk or cfdisk to resize the partition itself. AFAIK, QParted is just to resize FAT/NTFS filesystems.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

Re:Re:lost data when resising reiserfs

I didnīt know that... I will be more careful before dangerous operations from now on..
    Bu the question remains: now that the disaster happened, can I fix (at least part of) it?
    Please help

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried this myself, but there is a program called MagicReesque, which might be able to help you.
    Just don't hope for too much...

This won't help you now, but it can not be said too often: Tampering with your partitions should always(!) involve backups of important data.