Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to debian/linux can someone please help me with the domain name,host name, resolv.conf areas I installed debian etch, it runs and does connect to the internet fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debain configuration

I am new to debian/linux can someone please help me with the domain name,host name, resolv.conf areas

I installed debian etch, it runs and does connect to the internet fine through a linksys router...the linksys router is connected to my cable modem...now..

I just registered for a domain name (ex. mydomainname.org) with Verio....this is where I am stuck.

I installed apache 2, a web server, file server (all seem to work) I need to know what files I need to configure to have my machine actually BE that domain name.

Ex. my linksys DHCP IP addresses, the linksys gets an IP from the cable modem...my yquestion is ONCE I register a domain name with verio...how do I configure my end so it "knows" I am that respective domain name...I think I need to configure the following, but knot sure how to do it:

resolv.conf, hosts, and interface??

please help...I know this is easy for many of you but not this newbie...

Thanks!

Scott

most likely your ISP is going to be blocking port 80, also, unless you have a static IP address it is pretty useless to point a domain to your home connection.

Usually how it works is when you register a domain name, you register in the domain name provider's website the IP address of your domain name, it then propagates to the other dns servers, this is nothing to do on your end, unless you are your own nameserver, which also, is pretty useless without a static IP

Just Joined!
    Quit worrying about those files for now - resolv.conf, etc.

Installing Apache isn't enough. If you want your machine to be domain.com you must make sure your host is so:

$ hostname -a

to see.

If it's not -- then change it:

# hostname <new_name>

then

# /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start

OK -- now your hostname is domain.com

Where did you register the domain name? You will need to make sure the nameservers point to your machine. So, set up DNS - bind9 on your box. Then go back to where you bought the domain to make those changes. repoint to your new nameservers. For example, I might register a domain at GoDaddy. GoDaddy defaults to its own nameservers so the site can be visited. Anyway -- on a server where I host some domains I set this particular server account up - web space, mail, dns, all that. Once set up on my server I go back to GoDaddy and erpoint the nameservers to my own. done deal.

Allow some time for this to propogate throughout the web.

Now -- you have a dynamic IP? Then you must use dyndns, no-ip, or similar service to map your everchanging ip to your server. You really need a static IP if you aren't just screwing around.

On your router open the ports - 80, 443, 25 and 110 if you're doing mail - if you need ssl for mail then there ya go -- more to do and different ports.

You'll need to configure a bunch of "servers" -- web, mail, dns, etc.... It's no sweat, really - but if you want your machine to be served up to the web -- DNS - nameservers have to point to it or else no machine will be able to find it.

Dig?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help! My machine was getting so mixed-up that I just did a fresh install...and so far all your great help is working perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
    Regards.

Scott