Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, after almost three years of tinkering with Debian on my own machines, I'm ready to take it to the next level and install Debian for someone else. The machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

successor to "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

OK, after almost three years of tinkering with Debian on my own machines, I'm ready to take it to the next level and install Debian for someone else.

The machine in question is a perfect candidate for Linux: an olderXP machine choked with spyware and adware, used by a non-profit (my church), and thus in need of a rebuild, but the original installation disks aren't available. Also getting a Windows Genuine Advantage violation message (guessing the person who donated the machine to the church kept the original discs and has used them to load another system). Machine too old to justify the expense of purchasing an XP installation disk, in my estimation, and besides, the church is on a tight budget. So, a perfect candidate for Linux.

My one fear: running Debian install, getting the X configuration wrong and ending up with no GUI. I've fixed this situation by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It's generated a blank xorg.conf, however, the last couple of times I've used it-- doesn't seem to work anymore. Has it been succeeded by something else?

Please disregard system info in sig as this post refers to another machine.

Thanks.

My one fear: running Debian install, getting the X configuration wrong and ending up with no GUI. I've fixed this situation by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It's generated a blank xorg.conf, however, the last couple of times I've used it-- doesn't seem to work anymore. Has it been succeeded by something else?
    Have you tried -phigh option?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Install then run nvidia-xconfig

devils casper and machiner, thanks for the suggestions. I've made not of these commands in case the installation input ends up with no GUI. I'm scheduled to do the installation Monday, and I'll try to remember to follow up and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your help.

You should not execute nvidia-config command unless you have Nvidia Graphics Card. That command is not necessary at all.

devils casper, understood, thanks. In fact, the video card is an ATI.

In that case, set Driver "vesa" in xorg.conf file and install ATI Dirver later on.

Devils casper, thanks, will do.