Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Im trying to install the flash player for Debian Linux, and I downloaded the tar.gz file, unpacked it and I visibly see it on my desktop, however when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face need help navigating directories

Hi,
    Im trying to install the flash player for Debian Linux, and I downloaded the tar.gz file, unpacked it and I visibly see it on my desktop, however when I try to navigate to it in terminal (bash shell), it keeps saying no such file or directory. I can navigate to any other file or directory except this one..I also tried to list the directories using ls -l and ls -r but do not see it, but I can clearly see it on my desktop with the gui.....I'm confused and frustrated as I can not have a good web experience with out the flash player and cant take some online tests.

Also to note when I go to the folder in the GUI, and select the properties to check for correct file path, I se a lock symbol on it, I am logged in as root, because I just downloaed and installed a bunch of updates (79 of them), but just cannot seem to get to this directory.

Appreciate the help in advance...Im going to brew some coffee and return to see if any one has came to my aid.

Peace and blessings.

Before attempting to install with the source package, did you try installing flash with apt-get? if not, it would be better to use the Debian version instead of compiling flash from source. In case you haven't done this, do as 'su.'
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Once it finishes updating:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    If there is a reason this will not work in your particular situation and you still need to compile from source, open a terminal and as su do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    To get inside that directory you 've already unpacked:
    Code:
    cd name_of_file_
    To find out what's in there:
    Code:
    ls
    There should be a file called "INSTALL" or something you can open with your favourite editor to see the instructions for building the package.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    Hi

You can find your desktop directory in your home

cd ~/Desktop

and you will see all the file which is in the directory

the tar.gz contains a shell script which is called flashplayer_installer, whit this you can install flashplayuer plugin for different browsers

Just Joined!
    Hi, I wanna be...hey I did your suggestion first, becase I already had terminal open, and it went through fine and said it was installed, but when I open my Ice Weasle browser, it stll says need to install missing plugins, and whereever there is a flash or swf file there is the symbol to install missing plugins...what did I do wrong?

Just Joined!
    hey Dapper Dan (hey cool name!!) I assume SU means Super User, no? I don't know how to do that..do I relog in as SU? and if so I dont know the log in credetials for that, dont remember setting that up...In ny event I tried that apt-get from shell but did tell me access denied...how do I log in as super user? or SU

Hi teccnickle.

To become su, open a terminal and type in:
    Code:
    su
    press enter. It will ask for root's password. Type that in and also press enter. Now you will have root privileges. You should see a '#' where before there was a '$.' After doing your work, you can go back to normal user in the terminal by typing in:
    Code:
    exit
    and pressing enter.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

well, the SU did work, except no install, it says no such file or something to that effect, so I did try again from source code, and now it is saying that I should choose a valid directory, it sems to be looking for Mozilla, netscape or opera...Im trying ot install for Ice Weasel, I actually also have epiphany and will eventually want to install firefox, but right now I wanna put it to where it will be in any browser I open...I browsed to Ice Weasel directory and copied the path to a T, but it still keeps saying:

"PLEASE ENTER A VALID INSTALLATION PATH"

Just Joined!
    it keeps on saying installation complete, however, when I open Ice Weasel, it still claims I have to "install missing plugins" and I can view no flash at all...I restarted the browser several times

I've never used IceWeasel so I'm guessing here. When you started the installer and it asked where to install flash to, did you type in /usr/lib/iceweasel?

Just Joined!
    yes indeedy, but it says warning please choose a valid install path..and when I ran the script automatically, it went thru motions and said it was installed, but the proof was not in the pudding...I open Ice Weasel (native to Debian) and it still says missing plugins...even after restart several times and even after a re-boot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast