Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I would like to use my new hard drive but Studiolinux 64 can't find it. Hard drive is Seagate's 250gb Barracuda for sata II connection. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Linux installer refuses to recognize my hard drive

I would like to use my new hard drive but Studiolinux 64 can't find it. Hard drive is Seagate's 250gb Barracuda for sata II connection. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R if it helps to solve this problem. I tried to find driver for my hdd but manufacturer's site says that it doesn't need any such thing.

During linux installer's hdd detection there is chance to type some sort of code for hdd to work correctly. I can't just remember what was that called but something like acpi. Anything that may help is really welcome!

Linux Guru
    Could ithave been acpi=off?

Just Joined!
    I just checked and acpi was incorrect. Installer asked for pcmcia setting.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yet another definition needed to know: bios can recognize hdd normally, so propably that problem is in linux only.

Linux User
    try to set up ide compatible mode in the bios , this will cause slower data transfer

maybe just the installer can't see your drive
    After install set back the options in the bios

Have you been reading the Seagate troubleshooter , may be it's something we can't blame linux for. The fact that the Bios sees it does not automatically mean that it is 'usable' for the OS.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

Just Joined!
    Maybe you're right. And I didn't really blame linux yet (though I'm not far from that). II've tried almost all options bios offered for me to use (or at least I believe so). It did not help to proceed in this task. And yes I have been reading seagate's troubleshooting but thanks to you I tried that again. I found that on my motherboard there's jmicron's JMB368 chipset which supposingly controls hdd's. Jmicron's website contained information about OS support. (Product JMB368)
    It seems that 368 chipset has been supported in linux since kernel 2.6.18.2 and I have 2.6.21 version so there should not be problems with it.
    Another interesting thing is that I successfully installed it to my Buffalo drivestation via usb2.0. Is there any programs or so that I could find hdd when running linux?

Glad you could install it.

I know 64 studio is based on debian, so is ubuntu which I am using, that helps.
    With 64 studio running you should open a terminal. Usually this can be done by pushing alt-f2, otherwise you have to search in your menu's. They have a rather unique build so I can't tell you exactly where.

In terminal type:

sudo fdisk -l

and post the outcome of that command here. It should give all the needed harddisk information. BTW that is a small L in the command, not a 1.

Questions:
    Do you plan to install a windows OS (XP-Vista) in the future on this drive?
    Have you plans to install another, less specific, Linux OS on this drive as well?

Answering this would be a great help in advising you how to set up your drive.
    Charles

Just Joined!
    I tried that and here's the outcome:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 12160 97675168+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 * 12161 13011 6835657+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 13012 60801 383873175 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 13012 13762 6032376 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6 13763 60801 377840736 83 Linux

About use of other OS's I haven't decided yet but propably I'll install XP professional some day. I'm quite sure that it will not cause any headache because I bought another hdd yesterday. This one's made by Western digital and it is for sata too. When I tried to install it there were same result as with Seagate.

It seems that there's only one way to find out where's the problem. If I try to install Windows and that's successful, then my motherboard is just too new for 64 studio 2.1 and I have to wait until 3.0 gets released and then try again. If Windows has the same problem then my motherboard may be some way broken (but I can't imagine how).

Btw. Last night I downloaded Ubuntu 64 Studio to try with it too Maybe it has better hardware support..let's see.

Thank you for your interest about my hardware difficulties

This outcome shows only a 500 GB drive and the partitions there on. That's probably your USBdrive.
    There is no sign of the 250 GB drive you mentioned earlier.

Can you give the outcome of the next command:

lspci

this should list all devices that are connected through pci, including the sata devices.

BTW, did you install the firmware for your sata? The information so far indicates a hardware/firmware problem.
    Charles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast