Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am new to linux. I have created a user account on a ubuntu workstation. I log into the terminal as this new user and when i try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to create files and folders

Hi. I am new to linux. I have created a user account on a ubuntu workstation. I log into the terminal as this new user and when i try to create a file i get that permission is denied. I would like to create a file such that this new user and other members of a group can access it. Please help.

Power

Where are you trying to create the files/folders? Users only have access to their own home directories unless you grant permission to that user or a group they are in.

Just Joined!

Re:

I went to the users home directory and tried to create the file. I check the persmission on the default directory created and saw that only root had permission. I logged on as root and changed that persmission and i was then able to create the file. I am still trying to figure out how to let a new user create files and folders in his home directory.
    I am using ububtu 9.04 desktop on Alpha.

Power

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermann View Post
    I went to the users home directory and tried to create the file. I check the persmission on the default directory created and saw that only root had permission. I logged on as root and changed that persmission and i was then able to create the file. I am still trying to figure out how to let a new user create files and folders in his home directory.
    I am using ububtu 9.04 desktop on Alpha.

Power
    by default the user should be the owner of his own folder... if thats not the case you should probably run chown username:username /home/username

I am still trying to figure out how to let a new user create files and folders in his home directory.
    Are you trying to create folder as regular user in the home folder of other users?
    By default, Users can create folders in their own home folder only. You can manage privileges using Group permissions though.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First