Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed Debian Lenny 5.0.0 on my old Dell Latitude CPT S500GT. Unfortunately there's no sound. Double-clicking on the Volume icon gives me: "no volume control gstreamer plugins and/or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ESS ES1983S Maestro-3i soundcard problems

I've just installed Debian Lenny 5.0.0 on my old Dell Latitude CPT S500GT. Unfortunately there's no sound. Double-clicking on the Volume icon gives me:

"no volume control gstreamer plugins and/or devices found"

and

"The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means that you don't have the right GStreamer plug-ins installed, or that you don't have a soundcard configured."

It looks like the soundcard is not configured properly (no driver..?) as lshw says it is "UNCLAIMED".

I saw a post somewhere which suggests trying the manufacturers website and running alsaconf both of which I have done. The Dell website does not provide a linux driver and I can find no third party alternatives.

Can anyone help with this?

*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
    description: Multimedia audio controller
    product: ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio Accelerator
    vendor: ESS Technology
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:00:08.0
    version: 10
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm cap_list
    configuration: latency=32 maxlatency=24 mingnt=2
    *-communication UNCLAIMED
    description: Communication controller
    product: ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Modem Accelerator
    vendor: ESS Technology
    physical id: 8.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:08.1
    version: 10
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

Linux Guru
    I don't know if my reply will be of any help, but I just got through using AntiX control Panel to configure my ES Alegro 1988 Sound Card. The Linux Named driver in Device Manager identifies that made it work is called Maestro 3.

I'm running a icewm Desktop by the way so I can't be of more specific help to you. Sorry. AntiX is a Debian Based Distro, so the driver should be available to you also. Just a uneducated guess though. Hope that helps. Other forum members are way more proficient than me when it comes to Linux. so just be patient. Good Luck.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I googled a bit more and found some drivers called Maestro3 but I think they were for FreeBSD or something. Anyway, I've no idea now to install them! Thet are maestro3.c, maestro3_reg.h, maestro3_dsp.h, and a makefile. install makefile generates an error.

Any other ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Got it! Found the drivers here:

GDS - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/alsa/firmware/

info on the problem and instructions on how to compile:

#464191 - Sound broken with linux-image-2.6.24-1-686 - Debian Bug report logs

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamess View Post

Cool Glad you got it and posted back on how you got it solved. It will benefit other Lenny users with this sound card on How you fixed it. Kudos Dude.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamess View Post

Which set of drivers did you use? There's 38 downloads on that page. Just curious I'd love to have my sound back too on my old laptop.
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    Here is whats said in the bug report
    the right one is just "alsa-firmware"
    So pick the latest one or pick one that is a year or 2 newer than when your box was made.

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks, I'll look into that. I've been fighting a Latitude C600 for some time now with the newer kernels. That's the first response I've seen that might actually be of some help. I'll keep you posted.