Find the answer to your Linux question:
My CPU is Athlon 64 X2 5600+ with 4GB of RAM. Currently I don't see a reason to run with 64-bit so I'm looking for a kernel to handle the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Requesting recommendation for which kernel to run

My CPU is Athlon 64 X2 5600+ with 4GB of RAM. Currently I don't see a reason to run with 64-bit so I'm looking for a kernel to handle the dual core and 4GB of memory. When I checked the list of linux images on Debian's website the closest I found was a 686 with bigmem, but it was for Intel Pentium chips.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've been running 64-bit for the last 8 months without any issues. Is there some reason you don't want it?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the welcome.

I get the impression from different articles I've read that there are not many applications that take advantage of the 64-bit environment. Also, there are problems running some 32-bit applications, especially iceweasel. So I thought I would just wait awhile.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyepperson View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

I get the impression from different articles I've read that there are not many applications that take advantage of the 64-bit environment. Also, there are problems running some 32-bit applications, especially iceweasel. So I thought I would just wait awhile.
    The main thing that held some back was the lack of 64-bit Flash, but that's been taken care of so many folks are now enjoying the 64-bit kernel. 64-bit certainly plays with the 4 GB RAM better. I'd suggest making a backup of your current system, then trying the 64-bit setup to see how it works for you.

Maybe some of the others will offer up some better suggestions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the idea. I may give it a try. Is there a lot of prep work before running the 64-bit kernel?

oz
    forum.guy
    When I went 64-bit, it was with a fresh install. I think you'll find a different set of Debian repositories for the 64-bit kernel and apps, but not running Debian myself, I can't say for sure how they have it all setup. Maybe some Debian users will chime in with some advice.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll do some checking at the Debian website.