Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi my names dave and im new to the forum. my problem lies (currently) with apache2. i tried my hand at hosting my own website. and for a little while ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy apache died...dead....not comming back

hi my names dave and im new to the forum.

my problem lies (currently) with apache2. i tried my hand at hosting my own website. and for a little while i suceeded valiently. i followed the how to at howtoforge (perfect server ubuntu 8.10). well earlier today, i upgraded to ISPConfig from webmin. all was well. i didnt like ispconfig (couldnt figure it out...confusing) so i tried to remove it (yay problems!). the uninstall script failed, and i ended up just removing /home/admispconfig and /root/ispconfig. and re-installed webmin from the .deb file. now i cant access my webpage. neither internally or externally. localhost in FF on my server does nothing (its a tecra M2 and cant actually run the server version XD ) but i can SSH into the box and FTP files into and out of it. is it webmin? did i do something wrong from ispconfig? i know cox blocks port 80 so i have (i think) apache configed to use port 90 (i did before) and i have webforwarding set up with zoneedit to port 90. but nothing will let me view this page. and its rather important as its my home page for my (almost) brand spanking new business . anyone have any info/help?

I'd recommend against hosting your own website on a cable connection, simply due to the fact you will not have a static IP address. If you are serious about starting a business, why not pay for a real web site hosting account where most of the difficult stuff is done for you? It costs very little even for the most basic things. You will also have more bandwidth than you would with a measly cable connection.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    I'd recommend against hosting your own website on a cable connection, simply due to the fact you will not have a static IP address. If you are serious about starting a business, why not pay for a real web site hosting account where most of the difficult stuff is done for you? It costs very little even for the most basic things. You will also have more bandwidth than you would with a measly cable connection.
    because its something i honestly didnt consider. i enjoy the challenge of working with linux (and its free ^^, and because its being run by two college students, thats really important ) and ive learned alot about the operating system through this. i will look into it though. thanks for the idea. as for the apache, have any idea why it died?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    what do you recommend that i use to host my site? im seeing ALOT of poor reviews

I'm currently using godaddy to host a website, I have the cheapest plan, which is like $5/mo I think or so, its really easy to install the things you want on it, and its relatively fast, i'm sure a more expensive plan would be better, but for $5/mo its nice. They even offer a deal on a domain if you get hosting at the same time too, much lower cost of your domain, unless you already have one.

Just Joined!
    What kind of website are you using this for? If it's just a personal blog or something I think a home server would be more than adequate. Also, what happens when you try to run /etc/init.d/apache2 start ?