Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having difficulty getting sound to work. I have the Dell OEM SB Live!, so module snd-emu10k1x! Here are the steps I have taken thus far to get things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ALSA 1.0.6a and Dell SB Live!

I am having difficulty getting sound to work. I have the Dell OEM SB Live!, so module snd-emu10k1x! Here are the steps I have taken thus far to get things underway.

I compiled kernel 2.6.8.1 successfully with Sound Support built in. I excluded ALSA from the Kernel compile.

I then used module-assistant and successfully compiled the Nvidia drivers. I have nice graphics now and can read this webpage, yeah!

Next I downloaded alsa-driver-1.0.6a.tar.bz2 from the ALSA Project web page. I untarred the tar.bz2 file in my /usr/src directory. It created the alsa-driver-1.0.6a directory there.

Then I followed the Quick Install instructions:
    I did the ./configure which seemed to work fine.
    I ran make which seemed to work fine.
    I ran make install which seemed to work fine.
    I ran ./snddevices which looked good.

Now things get hairy. I am running Debian (testing) Linux. My /etc/modules.conf file says I'm not supposed to edit it under any circumstance and should instead look in my /etc/modutils directory. Inside that is a file called alsa-base. It is currently empty.

Next, if I run modprobe snd-emu10k1x I get a whole slew of Unresolved Symbols (as an aside, where does this get logged so that I can copy it into these posts??).

Upon rebooting my computer and entering KDE as root, I get the sound error relating to /dev/dsp, a device not found. A similar error shows up on trying to play an audio file in XMMS.

I should say I am Linux Newbie so type slowly

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Just Joined!
    Try running:

# alsaconf

as root.

This should generate the /etc/modutils/alsa-base file for you.