Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I mean the desktop background is green. The GUI programs that are used to change it crash imediatly after starting, as do gnome-panels and nautilus. Can't I just completely reinstall ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I mean the desktop background is green. The GUI programs that are used to change it crash imediatly after starting, as do gnome-panels and nautilus.

Can't I just completely reinstall all Gnome stuff?

I'll probably reinstall Debian, after backing up my /etc. I may as well go straight for the testing branch, in my experience its stable enough and has newer software.
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Linux Newbie
    "All the gnome stuff" covers an awful lot of ground. Installing the libs in the proper order to make gnome work is a project all on its own.
    You could probably pull down dropline and reinstall but it's an older version of gnome compatible with libs in Slackware 12.1. It'd be faster and more likely to work if you just back out the data you want from this install and re-install.
    If you're going to be tinkering with an install a lot and want an easy route to reinstall, split your home directory onto it's own partition. Then, if you save your data in home (the default behavior) you can reinstall and keep your data.
    If you download and install a lot of apps, create a folder at the head of home directory and keep the original packages there (mine's called Pkglocker). That way, once you reinstall you can recover all of your off distro apps easily.

Linux Newbie
    I was just reading another thread and Jonothan and Tbob pointed out that a lot of these problems with gnome can be fixed by creating a new user-which makes gnome generate new configuration files for that user. Try that before the new install.

Thanks djetlo,

I have my /home on a separate partition already. I have also made a copy of /etc.

I created a new user. After logging in as this new user into Gnome, gnome-panels does not crash, but everything else seems as messed up as it is for the other users. Everything not Gnome is just fine, like Blackbox for instance.

So I'll I'll fix it another way: either reinstalling or restoring my backup disk image. Not sure which of the two. I am also not sure I am also not sure whether I should upgrade to squeeze or stay with lenny...
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Just to let you know: I have restored the backup image of my system partition (excluding /home) using partimage from the systemrescue live cd. Everything seems fine now.

I tried to install Debian Squeeze from cd but all available installers are broken! I'll try again later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3