Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I have been getting this eror: When I click the Details button, it provides me with the following text: Code: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Configuration information error

Recently I have been getting this eror:

When I click the Details button, it provides me with the following text:
    Code:
    Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable
    TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf
    configuration system for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send
    a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
    or the network connection was broken.)
    This doesn't happen every time, but quite often. So far it has happened when running the terminal or gedit.

Now the font size and background colors of the terminal and gedit have changed, and it won't allow me to edit any settings in gedit.

If it helps:
    Code:
    Linux debian 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 18:29:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance!

Linux Newbie
    You're the second person to mention this problem.
    A couple of thoughts. Gedit doesn't pull down it's config file from the internet, it's a local file, nor do most of the terminal emulators...so why is it complaining about Orbit being unable to lock down on a remote file?
    Take a look at the way your calling these programs and see if your using a switch that points the app to a remote config file. If it's menu, open the menu editor, look at the command and then run a "man" and see if you can figure our what each switch means.

No switches. The terminal is running from the following command:
    gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
    And gedit:
    gedit %U

However, I usually end up running gedit from the terminal, by simply typing gedit /path/filename.

Also, it's not just gedit and terminal anymore. My login theme and splash page have reverted back to the default.

Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    OK, lets try this, touch your config files and make backups of them, manually point the app at the config file with a switch and filepath and see if it can read the config.
    The other thing you should do is run e2fsck on your hard drive to make sure this isn't being caused by corruption of the inode registers.
    I could be wrong but try it and let me know what the output is.

I do apologize, but as I said, I'm new.

My understanding is the config files are stored mainly in /etc, right?
    In any case, I'm not sure which files to backup and recreate, nor do I know how to point the app to it.

I tried e2fsck, but I'm not sure what to use for "device". I tried "rootfs", and got this:
    WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be a pain, I'm just not sure what to do.

Linux Newbie
    'm sorry, I don't want to be a pain, I'm just not sure what to do.
    You're doing exactly right, two thumbs for you as an end user. I wish I was as good a trouble shooter.
    The config files for gedit and the terminal emulator are actually rescource files, they are probably not in etc, you're going to need to type
    "man gedit" from the CLI and a wonderful manual page will appear to explain about how the app works. Take a look. I'd do it for you but slackware zombies are not allowed to use gedit (our eyes can only see "vi") and our system structure is such that what my machine tells me to do about the term issue is unlikely to be the same as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by dijetlo View Post
    You're doing exactly right, two thumbs for you as an end user. I wish I was as good a trouble shooter...
    Well thank you very much.

I didn't see anything about configuration:
    Code:
    GEDIT(1)                                                                                GEDIT(1)

NAME
           gedit - text editor for the GNOME Desktop

SYNOPSIS
           gedit [--help] [--encoding] [--new-window] [--new-document] [+[num]] [filename(s)...]

DESCRIPTION
           gedit is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment.

While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text edi‐
           tor.  It can be used to create and edit all kinds of text files.

gedit features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced
           features to gedit itself.

OPTIONS
           --help Prints the command line options.

--encoding
                  Set  the character encoding to be used for opening the files listed on the command
                  line".

--new-window
                  Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit.

--new-document
                  Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit.

+[num] For the first file, go to the line specified by  "num"  (do  not  insert  a  space
                  between the "+" sign and the number).  If "num" is missing, go to the last line.

filename(s)...
                  Specifies the file to open when gedit starts. If this is not specified, gedit will
                  load a blank file with an "Unsaved Document" label. Multiple files can  be  loaded
                  if  they  are  separated by spaces.  gedit also supports handling of remote files.
                  For  example,  you  can  pass  the  location  of  a   webpage   to   gedit,   like
                  "http://www.gnome.org",    or    load   a   file   from   a   FTP   server,   like
                  "ftp://ftp.gnome.org/robots.txt".

BUGS
           If you find a bug,  please  report  it  at  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?prod‐
           uct=gedit.

AUTHORS
           Paolo Maggi (paolo@gnome.org)

Paolo Borelli (pborelli@katamail.com)

James Willcox (jwillcox@gnome.org)

Federico Mena Quintero (federico@novell.com)

Chema Celorio

24 Apr 2006                                  GEDIT(1)

Linux Newbie
    What is that, an advertisement for Gedit? Where the instructions? Off to the Gedit manual page where I discover that they'd like us to write the gedit manual, if we get the chance.

I'm sorry Raiz, I got slackware. The only part of Gnome we have is the 'N' and the 'o'. My best advice here is to reinstall them and make sure you pull all old versions but a more experienced guy could probably save it.