Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I use the gedit /path/filename command from the terminal, I get this error: Code: debian:/# gedit /etc/fstab (gedit:6807): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Warning while connecting to session manager

When I use the gedit /path/filename command from the terminal, I get this error:
    Code:
    debian:/# gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:6807): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are
    supported and host-based authentication failed.
    debian:/#
    Gedit seems to run fine and I don't have any problems, so I don't know what this error is or how it's affecting me.

In case it helps:
    Code:
    debian:/# uname -a
    Linux debian 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 18:29:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    debian:/#

Just Joined!

Potential Fix

I've encountered this error on two separate occasions. Using the -l option with the su command will temporarily solve the problem, however, you must manually type the option each time or edit .profile or .bashrc. Both times I permanently fixed the errors/warnings by using synaptic to install both gvfs-bin and gvfs-backends. You may have accidentally removed these packages with 'apt-get autoremove' or something of that sort.

oz
    forum.guy
    Guys, this thread is over 3 years old so I'm going to close it, but do feel free to start fresh threads if you are having any issues with Linux.

Thank you.
    oz