Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'd really appreciate a little bit of help (I'm not a n00b so please don't feel that you overly have to elaborate!) I'm trying to install Debian "lenny" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Debian netinstall freezes at fetching packages

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate a little bit of help (I'm not a n00b so please don't feel that you overly have to elaborate!)

I'm trying to install Debian "lenny" using the netinstall iso. Install went fine, I got to the part where you select if you want a desktop environement or not (I chose Desk env. Laptop (for laptop) and standard packages) it took a while to download all 815 packages then when it got to package 815 it just froze up and sat like it for an hour before I decided to have a huff with it. It says its retrieving file 815, the status bar is stationery and has done nothing in over an hour now.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips to get around it?

Thanks so much for your time.

Natalie

Hi and Welcome !

It must be waiting for some input from you. Press Ctrl+C and check if it continues. Don't worry about downloaded packages. Package Manager store downloaded packages in cache folder and you can install those later only easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I had this problem with the net install disks. At first I thought I must have burned a dodgy copy so tried again with a second. I got the same problem. I got around it by downloading CD1 of the Lenny set and installing off that. Not the most elegant solution but it worked.

Just Joined!
    Hey guys, thanks so much for responding.

What I found worked in the end was selecting a different mirror to get the packages. The packages downloaded in a fraction of the time and it didn't freeze up in the end. I'm now using my brand spanking new copy of Lenny and it works just fine.

Much better than Fedora and Ubuntu and handles the resources better on my decrepid old laptop too!

Thanks again guys for the help!

Natalie

Glad to help you ! Do start a new thread if you have any other question.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First