Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi again guys, I currently run a home sever using windows server 2008. On it I'm using VMware to run 2 virtual machines (currently running CentOS (which is Red Hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Virtualisation with Debian

Hi again guys,

I currently run a home sever using windows server 2008. On it I'm using VMware to run 2 virtual machines (currently running CentOS (which is Red Hat based) as web and mail servers. It's not a big setup, we only host our personal websites and a couple for some friends. Although server 2008 handles resouces much better than server 2003, it's still running windows, which as we know is far more inferior to a Linux server. I'm trying to convince the husband to let me run everything on Debian, but he wants to run it on Red Hat (which okay, isn't bad but our household is devided. We have long running arguments because he likes his boxes Red Hat based running KDE, and I like my Debian distros running Gnome!)

The host server is running on a standard pc box, it's got a 2.5 gigahertz dual core processor and 3 gig of ram, almost one TB storage. (don't ask why I'm including this drastically important info!)

I want to run the entire network on Debian. So that would be the main host running Debian and the two virtual machines also. The host itself would need to run as a file and app server for our home network and the two vertuals as web and mail servers. (we run about 12 domains three of which are under heavy usage with Mysql databases, so we run two servers so we can dedicate more rescources to the virtual server that sucks the most juice.)

I was wondering how Debian handles virtualisation and what program(s) would be a good alternative to VMware? If you are running anything similar, how are finding it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated in my battle to converting my husband to the wonderful world of Debian!

And BTW, if you have the same arguments in your household, when confronted with the question "Why is Debian better?" stick to your guns and answer simply "because it is!" The other party will roll their eyes at you and stay quiet. So a cheap and easy way to win an argument such as mine!

Natalie

I doubt you will get someone in this section of the forum to say use redhat

if you already have vmware machines then why switch to another product. I am using a debian machine here at work to host my vm test machines using vmware server (a free product) and it works pretty good. alternatives would be xen or virtualbox but I haven't used them so can't comment.

to add to your redhat/kde debian/gnome options, how about debian with no X installed and sitting in a closet with the crappiest monitor you have?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jledhead View Post
    I doubt you will get someone in this section of the forum to say use redhat

if you already have vmware machines then why switch to another product. I am using a debian machine here at work to host my vm test machines using vmware server (a free product) and it works pretty good. alternatives would be xen or virtualbox but I haven't used them so can't comment.

to add to your redhat/kde debian/gnome options, how about debian with no X installed and sitting in a closet with the crappiest monitor you have?
    VMware works ok with Debian? Then, I'll stick to it! Thanks a lot. I know we had a few problems using it on Bill Gates latest concontion with it taking a lot of rescources.

And as for the closet - I'm already there

Thanks for your help!

Natalie