Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive tried a number of distro's for old laptops and the only one I can get to load and function without toooooo much hassle is DSL. Now, here in Spain, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Power cut protection

Ive tried a number of distro's for old laptops and the only one I can get to load and function without toooooo much hassle is DSL.

Now, here in Spain, the electricity supply has a habit of cutting off or 'switching', shutting down one's computer. The result I've found is that fsck runs when one reboots and finds errors and I've selected auto correct. Result is that DSL loses it's icon links on the desktop and the links move from vertical to horizontal layout. I want to run an 'always on' internet thing and I don't have a battery for the laptop so need to be able to reboot and return to operation instantly.

Is there a software I can download, a function I can invoke or a command line boot option I can send to prevent this being a problem? Go easy on me, I'm no techy

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't think there will be a software solution to what is in effect a hardware problem. When the power is interrupted any software will fail. You could look at getting a small, low cost UPS for your computer equipment.

Something like this
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Or I could buy a new battery for 36 pounds, which I probably will do at some time soon. However, I was thinking along the lines of some kind of file system management utility (not software management), which I imagine some bof must have dreamed up at some time? Power loss must have been an issue over the years and I can't imagine that nobody will have addressed it? I imagine windows must have addressed it as I never have problems of this kind running xp.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well, you could buy the battery but would that protect the router too?

I have had this problem in both Win and Lin - Where I live we have occasional blips too. It does seem to be dependent on the hardware. Some is more tolerant and some less so.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hi, yes, the router just comes back up with no problem, I don't have to reset anything, and xp is on a desktop, I'm not sure it was so tolerant in the past. I would definitely like to avoid having to reload the laptop each time, that could become a problem. Sadly I don't know enough about how the filesystem works to know if it can be stabilised or saved and refreshed on a regular basis.