Find the answer to your Linux question:
I put this post on another debian site,but no answers Debian User Forums :: View topic - "GConf error" prompt when open files under root ac the more detail information ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"GConf error" when open files under root account

I put this post on another debian site,but no answers
    Debian User Forums :: View topic - "GConf error" prompt when open files under root ac

the more detail information as below:
    I installed lenny,then I enable the testing respositories and run "apt-get dist-upgrade" to update my OS and run"apt-get autoremove " to clean unnecessary packages.

during this period ,I found debian remove the "gedit,gdm,etc,." but in ubuntu,it never happened when I used aboved two commands to update my OS.

Now the problem is when i try to open somthing by using gedit on the shell while using root account,then the system gives errors as below

Code:
    (nautilus:5245): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
      Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

but if I use "sudo" instead ,then everything is OK
    it seems somthing wrong about the configuration of root account
    then
    I deleted .gconfd under the root folder,but no helps
    and restarted dbus daemon again,also no helps

So now i want to know ,how to figure out this problem,
    how to reconfigure the root account
    later which command can be used to update my tesing (squeeze) system

Thanks in advance!
    Helai

This is about all I could find on this: Linux Mint Forums • View topic - [Error] Starting Nautilus as root. Looks like the issue is a mixed install of gnome 2.22 and 2.24. There's a bug report on it: Bug 555745 - Programs using Gconf fail if you start via "su" (GConf)

Take a look at the smxi scripts for help with upgrading the system: smxi sgfxi svmi rbxi :: home page
    Smxi - MEPIS Documentation Wiki