Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have debian etch installed in a NAS machine. I have SQLite 3.3 there which is needed by several applications. However, I want to upgrade to the latest SQlite ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Replace package with a self-compiled without breaking dependencies?

Hi!

I have debian etch installed in a NAS machine.

I have SQLite 3.3 there which is needed by several applications. However, I want to upgrade to the latest SQlite 3.6.11 to get some performance improvements. In debian etch this means self-comiling it - no problem. I would like to remove the old SQlite of course, so there is only one version in the system and there comes the problem.

How do I replace the package installed SQlite with my new self-compiled version and keep the dependencies? I can't remove the old SQlite without also removing all those apps that depend on it.

Should I make my own .deb package from my self-compiled version and then upgrade to it?

Thanks in advance!

Installing fresh upstream releases in Debian Stable is always a bit problematic, because the dependencies are often outdated.

First you should try to do: apt-get build-dep packagename
    which fetches and installs all dependencies you need for compiling it.

If the dependencies are still to old, you need to install them manually.
    You can install them in a separate directory so that they won't influence the rest of the system. Only the SQlite will then use the new version of the dependencies.
    (You will have to set some shell environments to the new paths, read the READMEs and the help/output of configure)
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for quick reply!

I assume you are talking about using a source package from debian repository?

Problem is that there is no fresh source package for my system (etch, arm architechture). I will have to use the source from SQLite homepage directly which I in fact already compiled successfully.

But how to make the swap to new SQLite without having to uninstall those apps that now depend on the old SQLite?

Quote Originally Posted by omak View Post
    Thanks for quick reply!

I assume you are talking about using a source package from debian repository?
    No, I'm talking about using the package manager to get all dependencies you _would_ need to build Debian's source package of SQLite -- then compile the current upstream version of it yourself.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.