Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hi,sorry for late reply, this ubuntu 8.10 has my learning curve spiraling. Things are starting to fall into place a little now. However I'm still having troubles. I'v just re-installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hi,sorry for late reply, this ubuntu 8.10 has my learning curve spiraling. Things are starting to fall into place a little now. However I'm still having troubles. I'v just re-installed it for the 5th time as I dont see any system restore, and it keeps going tits up everytime I try to install from tar. Vlc I downloaded ok. - no tarball. Dvd rip, doesn't work, and dont know why. I get a blank screen after trying to install it. The other prob is kopete, I downloaded it and then it says I havent got jasper to make cam work.So I downloaded jasper, read some instructions on how to install it, which didnt work, and after, the machine wouldnt even log on to net, - so hence with no system restore, I re-installed again, just now. All I need is vlc- thats ok, and dvdripping, and cam with a messenger. - and some nice easy instructions, cos Im still wasting every hour in the bleeding library.
    I got a book on ubuntu, and there is absolutely no mention at all of how to install things from tarballs. - Strange, but true.
    Ok, aslo I still want to know about this wireless issue, as I want to look at other distros aslo and want to make it work. This is the info I came up with after looking at the link you posted for me:02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    What should I do next? Many thanks.

For your wireless
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    You should be asked whether you want to fetch and install firmware - say yes.

Why are you trying to install from source? All of these programs are available in Ubuntu's repositories. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

You will also probably want to add the medibuntu repos: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot for quick reply. Im on the case having a look just now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2