Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Im totally new to linux and wanted to give it ago, after realising I cannot buy a laptop with no o.s. on it and put my xp unatended on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newcomer

Hi, Im totally new to linux and wanted to give it ago, after realising I cannot buy a laptop with no o.s. on it and put my xp unatended on it. I put windows 7 on my laptop, but its still pants really. Ok, I've only ever used xp. Newby uh?. For two weeks now, Im going round in circles trying to find some instructions for how it works. I downloaded varios live versions and none of them see the wireless, its as if its turned off. I only have wireless, so without it Im stuffed. Could anyone pls tell me where I look to learn about linux (Im messin with debian) I downloaded ndiswrapper after reading something about it could see the cards but god knows how it installs. I hate the capitalistic pigs that microsoft are and would love to learn, so can anyone pls advise me on where to go to learn? My laptop is an hp pavillion dv51118.es. Thank in a.v. for any clues.

Quote Originally Posted by rastro123 View Post
    I put windows 7 on my laptop, but its still pants really.
    I'm sorry, what? Windows 7 pants? What happens when they crash? Do you moon everyone?

Ok, I've only ever used xp. Newby uh?. For two weeks now, Im going round in circles trying to find some instructions for how it works. I downloaded varios live versions and none of them see the wireless, its as if its turned off.
    Do you know what kind of wireless chip your computer uses?

I only have wireless, so without it Im stuffed. Could anyone pls tell me where I look to learn about linux (Im messin with debian) I downloaded ndiswrapper after reading something about it could see the cards but god knows how it installs.
    You'll need the XP driver files for your card. These are usually an INF and a SYS file. You install them from the command line using ndiswrapper (some distributions also have a graphical program to do this).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It says here in device manager that its a broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. The l.top originally had vista on in.

Debian is pretty strict about only including free software. The broadcom firmware doesn't qualify. I think Mandriva 2009.1 will have the card working out of the box for most Broadcom chips. I seem to recall that was the case when I tested it on a laptop with the Broadcom 4318 chip. Otherwise, you can either use ndiswrapper with the windows drivers, or use a program called b43-fwcutter to extract the firmware files then place them in the directory /lib/firmware. b43 - Linux Wireless

Just Joined!
    thanks mate, Im on the case and I'll try that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rastro123 View Post
    thanks mate, Im on the case and I'll try that.
    I went to this b43-fwcutter but I dont really understand it. I went to their page, looked for an itel chit download but saw nothing. Also it goes on about ...bcm43xx - I dont know how I find this number on my pc. I just need some real simple instructions. I dont understand ''jargon'' I dont know exactly what achetecture is, Im a welder, not a builder, and this is just pissing me off now. I dont have my own connection, so I rely on wifi, without it Im ****ed.Any help most apreaceated. Ha- and now Ive got this bloody window keep popping up telling me to activate my windows 7! Why? Oh, by the way, I think the card is 4315. I saw this number somewhere in there while fishing.

Debian is probably not the best newbie distro out there. Anyway...

Read this: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html The basic gist to finding out exactly which chipset you have is to open a terminal and type
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    You're looking in the output for something along these lines
    Code:
    0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
    To find which version of b43-fwcutter to use, you need to know what kernel you're running. For this type
    Code:
    uname -r
    If it's 2.6.24 following these intructions: b43 - Linux Wireless

If it's 2.6.25 or newer (which it should be if you're using Debian 5) follow these intructions: b43 - Linux Wireless

EDIT: To install the b43-fwcutter package in Debian, you can download from here: Debian -- Package Search Results -- b43-fwcutter

Or add "contrib" to your sources.list.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    edit so you have a line that looks like this
    Code:
    # Debian Lenny/5.0
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
    If you're not using lenny, replace with the version you are using, ie, etch, squeeze, or sid. Lenny is the current stable release, Etch is the old one, Squeeze is the current testing, and Sid is the unstable branch.

Download as so
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

Just Joined!
    thanks mate, I'll get on and have a look now. I had to leave it alone for a while, due to it fraggling my brain, and taking over life in general. Now I'm ready for another head ****.

Just Joined!
    hi,again,I found a distro that saw the wireless gizmo -ubuntu.I tried to install it and get rid of win 7 but it wont install. So I tried another- debian gnome. It doesnt see the wireless, so went back to the link you posted, to have another go. So...how do I identify my chipset?And how do I get to a ''terminal''-how do I open a termina? Its had me going round in circles reading the same stuff for 2 hours now. The pc will be up the wall next.

Ubuntu is a much easier distribution to use than Debian as a beginner. What went wrong when you tried to install? Did it boot ok into the live CD?

In GNOME the terminal is listed under Applications>Accessories

In KDE it's called "Konsole" and I believe it is under utilities or system tools. You can also hit "ALT+F2" and type "konsole" in the run dialogue. (You can do the same in gnome, but in that case you type "gnome-terminal".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast