Find the answer to your Linux question:
> Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0) > Please append a correct "root=" boot option > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on > ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to deal with this linux kernel error after cloning ?

> Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
    > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    > unknown-block(0,0)

i cloned a vmware debian virtual hard drive to a physical hard drive, after i boot my physical drive from a physical pc it gives this error above (cloning happened with norton ghost)

does it have anything to do that my physical dricve is sata and the virtual hard drive is scsi ? how do i deal with it ? i don't know much about linux so a detailed answer (what and how to do it) would be appreciated. i changed the menu.lst from sda1 partition to hda1 but it wont make any difference

thanks a lot

also how can i make a debian live cd from a hard drive with an active debian install ?

cheers

Linux User
    you need to edit fstab and the configuration of your boot loader.

Probably the virtual machine on your computer not completly indentical with the real PC.

That error message means the boot loader can't find the root partition beacuse it not configuread correctly.

If you need more help post the followings
    content of
    /etc/fstab
    /boot/grub/menu.lst or /etc/lilo.conf

output of
    fdisk -l

We need this information from both of your PCs from the real one and from the virtual.

Good luck