Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I installed debian using a computer monitor so the installer set the default resolution for that monitor. I, however want to use a t.v. set as a monitor but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using a t.v. as a monitor

hi, I installed debian using a computer monitor so the installer set the default resolution for that monitor. I, however want to use a t.v. set as a monitor but it will not display properly.

hardware specifics:
    computer: Pentium II 300MHz proc.
    384MB RAM
    5 gig HD
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card

I am connecting the computer to the T.V. using a 4 pin S-video cable. The T.V. set displays the initial loading process correctly but then starts flashing colors whenever the computer reaches the graphical login prompt.

solutions I have tried:
    I have tried changed the resolution and refresh rate to the lowest setting(640X480@60hz) using GNOME but this does not change the resolution of of the login prompt. I have even tried connecting the computer to an HDTV capable of 1080i with the same results.

My question is how can I change the resolution of the login window to see if that is causing the problem or if all I need is a specific driver or if there is something else I am missing.

any help is appreciated

Never set up a TV as a monitor personally. So the only thought I have is to boot up with a LiveCD like Knoppix after you hook up the cables. Check the xorg.conf file to see what it can tell you.

Maybe somebody with more experience will pop in with better option.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.