Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Im a noob at linux and am having problems setting up wireless network using my abit airpace pci wifi card debian recognises the pci card and the correct kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Problem setting up wireless on Debian 5

Hi

Im a noob at linux and am having problems setting up wireless network using my abit airpace pci wifi card

debian recognises the pci card and the correct kernel module is installed (ath5k) but using the wifi manager i cannot find any networks. i have even tried scanning for networks using the terminal command:

iwlist wlan0 scan

and still nothing.

The network card does however recognise my zoom router in windows vista.
    Any help would be much appreciated as i'm stuck for reasons why this is happening.

Linux Guru
    It is possible that the driver isn't current enough. You could try installing the latest driver, which is part of the compat-wireless package.

Download - Linux Wireless

You could also try a different wireless connection manger. I like Wicd:

wicd - home
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

thanx for the quick reply. will try these out and if any problems will let you know

thnx agen

edit: i have now resolved this issue by installing ubuntu along with a wifi manager tool called wifi radar and everything is working fine now. fingers crossed!