Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me apologize in advance if I don't use the proper terms for Linux, but I am a first timer. I have a laptop with Linux installed with Ubuntu (I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

extracting .deb files

Let me apologize in advance if I don't use the proper terms for Linux, but I am a first timer. I have a laptop with Linux installed with Ubuntu (I assume that is the GUI). I tried to download Juice Podcaster, and it downloaded a .deb file. When I went to extract it, it tried to use Gdebi, I think. I get an error, "Error: Dependency is not satisfiableython-xmms." What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by derohanes View Post
    Let me apologize in advance if I don't use the proper terms for Linux, but I am a first timer. I have a laptop with Linux installed with Ubuntu (I assume that is the GUI). I tried to download Juice Podcaster, and it downloaded a .deb file. When I went to extract it, it tried to use Gdebi, I think. I get an error, "Error: Dependency is not satisfiableython-xmms." What am I doing wrong?
    I think what you're trying to do here is install, not extract. You do not extract DEB files; they're pre-packaged binaries similar to a MS Windows EXE file. That error is telling you that in order to install the program you want, you also need to install the package called "python-xmms."
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I searched through the ubuntu packages for python-xmms, and the last release under that name was for Dapper. Currently, they have a package called python-xmmsclient, but I don't know if that provides what Juice requires. You can try installed it and see.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-xmmsclient
    May I suggest gpodder as a very good podcast catcher that is in the Ubuntu repos? To install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gpodder
    More on installing software in Ubuntu here.

And more on Ubuntu for people coming from Windows here.