Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plan on starting a LAMP system, but I am having some problem with my understanding. I was hoping it would be a easy process, but I am getting confused ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Creating a webserver - need help

I plan on starting a LAMP system, but I am having some problem with my understanding. I was hoping it would be a easy process, but I am getting confused on how to setup my IP address and my DNS and my domain name. I was hoping I could have a chat with some one over gmail or irc or what ever so I can pick your brain and hopefully work this stuff out.

If you enjoy teaching people please respond.

Linux User
    Hi

Do you have a public IP or you just want use the server on your own local network?
    Have you an own DNS server or you can acces some?

IP address
    man interfaces
    this will review the structure of /etc/network/interfaces

domain name
    you need to set up your hostname only
    the doamin name provided by your dns provider
    but if you want so much you can write it into /etc/hosts file in the following structure:
    ipaddress hostname hostname.domainname

DNS:
    if you have an own DNS server you need to add an A record to the configuration file which contains the name and the ip addres of the server

if you want your own domain but you didn't have an own DNS server you must register it at one of your countrys domain name registrator.

So. Good Luck

If you do not have a static IP you can obtain DNS and all that from DynDNS.com: DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, VPS Hosting and Other Services. Perhaps it could help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    I have comcast so I think I have two DNS address that are static. I tried first setting my server up staticly instead of dhcp auto config but it didn't work even though everything seemed to be correct. This is also what I am confused about. I don't have my own name server setup so how do I edit my domain and get it transferred to my dns? I know I am missing something critical here.

I have been reading this and it is very helpful but doesnt explain certain things aboutdebian.com/dns.htm

Linux Guru
    I don't use Debian so I won't be able to give you specific advice. I did find this site explaining setting up a server for Debian although it is for an older version (Sarge) but might be worth checking out.

The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Have you configured things to work on localhost?
    Is the problem just with the DNS? Checked with comcast to see if you can run a web server? If you want a server online, you will need a static IP address.