Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to play windows medias latest codec files in debian etch 4 r5 I have installed w32 codecs from the multimedia repostiory and xine player, but it still says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wvc1 codec install - help required

Im trying to play windows medias latest codec files in debian etch 4 r5

I have installed w32 codecs from the multimedia repostiory and xine player, but it still says codec not found.

wvc1dmod.dll is installed, how do i get it to work??
    there are 132 files in the codecs pack.

I have tried copying them to:
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/codecs
    /usr/local/lib/codecs
    /usr/local/lib
    /usr/local/lib/win32/
    /usr/local/lib/win32/codecs

any ideas welcome.

Also if i try to install libdvdcss2 it wants to remove linux-kernel-headers - is that safe?? I know its from an unstable repository, but i don't want to crash the system (I've done that before).

Have you tried VLC Player? It supports most of the media formats.
    Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    apt-get install vlc
    Also if i try to install libdvdcss2 it wants to remove linux-kernel-headers - is that safe?? I know its from an unstable repository, but i don't want to crash the system (I've done that before).
    Its safer to un-install kernel headers but I don't know why libdvdcss2 trying to un-install those. I won't suggest you to install libdvdcss2 for a while. Let me check if its safe or not.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I have vlc (videolan) installed - version 0.8.6a, it wont play them either. The audio plays in xine, but vlc sits at 00:00 and wont move with video or audio.

I tried converting with mencoder and ffmpeg, but both drop the video with duplicate frames or error encounted. Resultant output is a green block picture that you cannot see anything in. Audio outputs ok.

I have tried this with many movie trailers, the latest bourne supremacy hd wmv is an example.

Im stuck and at a loss of what to do now, I have the codec installed from debian multimedia repository but everything is reporting that they cannot find it.

I really begrudge installing windows , i hate it now - lol after 9 months of linux, theres not much i miss but a few things are still difficult in linux, i'd rather not look at the trailers or wait until someone posts them in quicktime or avi..