Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to enable TTYSnoop to work with SSH and I read that I need to recompile sshd with this command: ./configure --use-login=/bin/ttysnoops Where do I download the source ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recompiling sshd

I am trying to enable TTYSnoop to work with SSH and I read that I need to recompile sshd with this command:

./configure --use-login=/bin/ttysnoops

Where do I download the source to sshd so that I can recompile it?

Just Joined!
    I tried downloading OpenSSH and recompiling it. However, when I tried to run the "./configure --use-login=/bin/ttysnoops" it gave me an error saying that wasn't a valid switch.

I think I need to recompile SSHD, not SSH. Where can I download the source for SSHD?

Just Joined!
    sshd is the daemon that runs on the machine that serves ssh connections. It is a part openssh.

Just Joined!
    Ok so sshd is a part of openssh. Still, when I execute the command:

./configure --use-login=/bin/ttysnoops

It says that it is an invalid switch. What is the proper way to make compile ssh to work with ttysnoop?

Just Joined!
    Sorry, don't use ttysnoop, can't be of any specific help.

The invalid switch just means the configure script doesn't like the option you are trying to pass.

I would take a look at the README or INSTALL (or configure) files that came with the openssh tarball and see what options are supported.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I took a look and that option is not listed in either of those files. Is it possible that they removed that switch? If so, is there a way to re-add it?

Linux Engineer
    to see a list of (most) of the options in a particular configure script, issue this command:
    Code:
    ./configure --help|less
    that'll list most of what's in the configure script..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Well I finally got ttysnoop working with ssh. It was a lot more complicated than using just that switch. If anyone is interested in how to do it, let me know.

Just Joined!

okay, me got trouble with ttysnoop too!

hi, yeah, i have troubles with ttysnoop n sshd. Seems to work great with telnet, i recompiled sshd by first setting an environment variable LOGIN_PROGRAM=pathofttysnoops, and then ran the compile thing again, modified sshd_conf to uselogin, still doesn't seem to be working. Was wondering if you have been in similar waters!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast