Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, fellow GNU/Linux users! I'm trying to cobble together a Recycle Bin-type setup similar to how GNOME, XFCE, and KDE have, but for IceWM -- and preferably a method that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How do I make a user-wide Trashcan/Recycle Bin?

Hiya, fellow GNU/Linux users!

I'm trying to cobble together a Recycle Bin-type setup similar to how GNOME, XFCE, and KDE have, but for IceWM -- and preferably a method that works no matter what WM I'm using. Anything requiring GNOME, KDE, XFCE is a Bad Idea on this old AMD K6-2 w/384MB PC100.

I already figured out how to make the cli command "rm" redirect to moving the target to a Trash directory from linuxforums.org/forum/misc/58944-about-rm-command-recycle-bin.html, but like the Title says, I need it to work system-wide -- or at least throughout PCManFM.

I'll keep hunting while you come up with ideas! This project is becoming almost blogworthy...

EDIT: What (incredibly) little I've been able to scrounge up on this subject seems to use ROX-Filer...I wouldn't mind learning that for myself, but as this project is for my grandfather --- who has only ever used DOS w/PC-TOOLS and Windows --I'd REALLY rather not go there.

Just Joined!
    After a great deal of research...it seems what I'm wanting to do is pretty much impossible at this point. Apparently, the folks who make PCManFM are trying to put Trashcan functionality in, but it would involve a rather major rewrite of the code (somewhat paraphrased from their site). So, if it IS possible to to, it would be a rather ugly hack, I'm guessing.

As such, if the moderators think this would be more likely to be solved in "Linux Applications" or "Linux Programming and Scripting", could you please move this thread there? I wanted something user-wide, and not program-specific, but at this point I'll take anything (again, not including GNOME, KDE, XFCE, ROX).

Meanwhile, I'll go mess with ROX-Filer on my main computer, and see if I can make it somewhat more like what Grandpa would be able to deal with.

There is a program called libtrash that you should be able to use.

This is about the best I could find on using it with pcmanfm, but it's not a very clear guide.
    Giving pcmanfm Trash

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is it permitted to blow one's own trumpet here or does that count as advertising? My barbarella package includes a simple trashcan, but it needs to work with a trash script and pcmanfm, as far as I know, doesn't allow user scripts to be incorporated. There are however several small file managers that do; I use it with emelfm.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    ...but it's not a very clear guide.
    Yike and a half, that IS an ugly hack -- compared to my nonexistant knowlege of bash scripting, anyway. Well, it's a little late for the system I was setting up (although I might be able to put it in later), but it's a good excuse for me to learn scripting! Thx!

@hazel: In my book, if the trumpeting of one's own work provides a good solution to an annoying problem, and is done within that context, it's not a bad thing I think I found the package you were talking about, and I'll look into it soon. Thx to you as well!