Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! First, let me say thank you for considering my question. I only recently became familiar with Linux, and chose the Kubuntu distribution for my laptop because I like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Newb - Find "program files" folder

Hello! First, let me say thank you for considering my question.

I only recently became familiar with Linux, and chose the Kubuntu distribution for my laptop because I like to tinker. I am quite impressed, but still relatively unfamiliar with command prompts, and so have run into some difficulties (easily fixed with forum help). The biggest problem I have atm, however, is finding the Kubuntu equivalent of the "Program Files" directory in Dolphin. I want to tell Firefox where to open my torrents (i.e. find ktorrent executable), manually import Thunderbird e-mail/contacts from my flash drive (since I can't find how to do it within Thunderbird itself), and in general poke around. Can you tell me where to find them? Alternatively, is there another way to accomplish what I need to do?

Help please!

Rane
    Last edited by ranestone; 05-31-2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarification

The binary files for applications are mostly located in /usr/bin and occasionally in /usr/local/bin or /opt. You'll find *.desktop files in /usr/share/applications. These files are sort of like launchers, which include info on what icon should be used, what name to display (so the program Gedit, might appear only as Text Editor, for example), and the path to the executable.

To change file associations in KDE4, go to System Settings->Advanced->File Associations

To change default apps used by Firefox, go to Edit->Preferences->Applications