Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Recently my web hosting moved my site from BSD unix to Debian Linux platform. My website uses custom c function (compiled c program accessed using Exec command from within ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

permission problem on linux web server

Hi,

Recently my web hosting moved my site from BSD unix to Debian Linux platform. My website uses custom c function (compiled c program accessed using Exec command from within the PHP). But on the new platform the program won't execute and after a lot of back and forth I found that it was a permission problem. Web hosting company says that they cannot allow any binary file to execute on the server. But this puts me in a desperate situation. Any help will be highly appreciated. Tech guy from web hosting is suggesting that i convert my compiled binary program to ASCII code. I have no idea how to do that or whether it will work or not. what are my options.

I don't think we can 'convert' compiled code to ASCII. Its half security issue with them and half marketting trick to move you to dedicated hosting.

Hope others here will be able to help you.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    thank you.. is there anything I can offer as a technical suggestion to my hosting firm.. is there no way out of it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close