Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everything was clicking along just fine-- the system even auto-recognized and automatically installed a new USB-connected printer (HP DJ D1520). Then, I triggered "automatic updates" and ended up with, among ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] system reports USB errors at boot, and fails to recognize some USB devices

Everything was clicking along just fine-- the system even auto-recognized and automatically installed a new USB-connected printer (HP DJ D1520).

Then, I triggered "automatic updates" and ended up with, among other things, a newer kernel.

Suddenly the system no longer recognized the printer, the PDA applet reported conduit-synch failures (PDA is USB-connected), and about six weird messages all along the same theme as the following started appearing at boot:
    Code:
    [22.049917] usb 2-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error-110
    and
    Code:
    [87.977775] hub 2-1:1.0:  unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
    Another weird thing is, the system still recognizes and mounts my external HDD and my thumb drive, both USB connected.

uname -r:
    Code:
    2.6.26-2-686
    lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1058:0705 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    cat /etc/issue:
    Code:
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l
    I'll post the output of dmesg if anyone wants it, but it's really verbose.

I've Google'd for and found solutions for this problem, but none that I find effective or even understandable. Many thanks for any help anyone can render.

*solved* (in a manner of speaking) system reports USB errors at boot...

I was educated to the fact that it was a mixed-up kernel-- way above my pay grade, as we used to say in the USAF!-- so I just backed up and restored my system with the latest Debian net-install ISO. All is now fine.