Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talking creating local repository

well i need to create a local repository in debian that is accessable throught snypactics manager. can anyone help???
    There is nothing impossible, for everything is possible; the impossible only takes a bit longer than the possible.

Older Article I found but should apply

Backing up an entire repository

Creating a CD or DVD of an entire repository is trickier.

First, you must download all the packages from the repository. Apt-mirror offers a convenient way to accomplish this difficult task; it continuously downloads as many as 20 packages at once until it has copied an entire repository to the hard disk.

To get started, install the package apt-mirror, which is available in the current Debian stable, and has been in Ubuntu since version 6.10 (Edgy Eft). If it isn't available for your distribution, the apt-mirror Web site has installation instructions.

Edit the configuration file, /etc/apt/mirror.list, as root. The file is divided into two sections, the first containing default options that can in almost all cases be left alone (read them over to see whether you need to alter them), and the second listing Debian package repositories, in the same style as /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://repository.address distribution-version section1 section2 ... sectionN

For example, a line that includes Ubuntu Feisty's main and restricted repositories would read:

deb Index of /ubuntu feisty main restricted

When apt-mirror is run, it will download all the repositories listed to /var/spool/apt-mirror. Whether you choose to list one or all of your distribution's repositories is up to you. In any case, it's easy to copy lines or whole sections from /etc/apt/sources.list and add them to mirror.list, perhaps commenting out what you don't need with judicious use of the # operator.

Run the command apt-mirror as root. (You'll probably want to run a sudo su command first, since you must run more commands as root once apt-mirror is finished.) Be warned: large repositories, such as Ubuntu main, may take hours to download, and apt-mirror gives little in the way of progress indication.

Since it makes an exact copy of your distribution's repositories, apt-mirror disperses the packages through a complicated directory structure. You'll want to move all the downloaded packages into the directory of your APT cache, so that they will be automatically imported into APTonCD. To do that, run these commands, as root:

cd /var/spool/apt-mirror # move to the directory containing the mirror
    find mirror/ -iname *.deb | xargs mv -t /var/cache/apt/archives # find package files; move each one into cache directory

Finally, run APTonCD as before (it isn't necessary to run it as root), and all the packages that you configured apt-mirror to download will show up.
    Using your new repository disc

The payoff, of course, is being able to install packages from your CD or DVD with apt-get or Synaptic. To do this, you must add the CD to your APT sources -- and APTonCD can do that too. Simply insert the disc you burned, open APTonCD, and click the Restore tab. Click Add..., and when prompted, click OK. This method will allow you to add several discs in succession, if necessary.

Now you can apt-get install to your heart's content to install packages, whether you are online or off.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Debians How to from the manual

Debian Repository HOWTO
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    no you got my questions wrong. i don't want to make a mirror of the repository but i want to create an repo in my local machine with the .deb i have with me and the debian lenny 5 1st disk.
    There is nothing impossible, for everything is possible; the impossible only takes a bit longer than the possible.

wow this is great. has nobody tried creating a local repository

forum.guy
    If I'm understanding your question properly, you are wanting to use APT locally:

APT HOWTO - Basic Configuration

...and add a CD to your sources list:

APT HOWTO - Basic Configuration

I'm pretty sure you can use Synaptic after setting these up as instructed, but haven't tried it myself.
    oz