Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been a slackware guy for a while now but was thinking about playing with Debian. Are there any pros and cons to switching to Debian and if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slackware vs Debian

I have been a slackware guy for a while now but was thinking about playing with Debian.
    Are there any pros and cons to switching to Debian and if I do change do I use stable or unstable and where is the best place to purchase such copy.

Mike

Just Joined!
    Hi

one big reason for me to use debian is/was apt. It's a really clever tool
    But i tested slackware too and found it good but debian better. So i don't know any pro or cons...
    Just check it out

Greetz }-Tux-{

Re: Slackware vs Debian

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    I have been a slackware guy for a while now but was thinking about playing with Debian.
    Are there any pros and cons to switching to Debian and if I do change do I use stable or unstable and where is the best place to purchase such copy.

Mike
    I've used Slackware 9 (though not 10) and all the current branches of Debian, and I can safely say I much prefer Debian. That's not to say Slackware isn't good in its own right, but here are the key differences that I like:

Apt-get. It's been emulated on Slackware and many other distros, but AFAIK it got its start with Debian. This is (barring portage) my favorite package management system of all Linuxes.

Fanatical (and sometimes hilarious) founders. Richard Stallman is the quintessential hippie, believing in peace, love, and free software (as in beer and in speech). His passionate speeches in the Pro-OSS domain are quite interesting, even if realists like myself may take issue with "all commercial closed-source software is bad".

Portability. Debian has been translated into countless languages and CPU architectures, and releases them all simultaneously (one of the reasons it's taken so long between releases).

Overall ease-of-use. I just find Debian to be a convenient distro, mostly due to apt.

If you want to try it out, I'd recommend using the "stable" branch at first. It's a little out of date, but everything is guaranteed not to break anything else when you install it. Once you get used to it you can apt-get dist-upgrade to "Sarge" (the unstable release), which is in my experience just as stable, and very close to becoming the next "stable" release (maybe by christmas?).

As for purchasing a copy... well you are aware that you don't *have* to right? Being a Slackware guy you should know that you can download most any distro for free. You *can* purchase all 5 CDs of Debian Woody (stable) from various places for quite cheap if you just don't want to spend the time or CDRs (I do this myself sometimes).

http://www.linuxiso.org
    http://www.linuxcd.org

There are other places that offer the CDs, but these are my favorites.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Debian makes you spotty.

HTH

</runs>
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Debian makes you spotty.

HTH

</runs>
    Umm.. what? I'll wager a guess and say that's a euphemism for acne?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Is the stable version up to date with hardware? I know I don't have to buy it, but I couldn't get a good install with slackware till I purchased the cd then it went right away.

Is it as powerfull as slackware, and most importantly as fast.
    what about wireless? I use my laptop wireless sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Is the stable version up to date with hardware?
    That depends on your hardware. It works with my system, and it's relatively new (see signature).

I know I don't have to buy it, but I couldn't get a good install with slackware till I purchased the cd then it went right away.

Is it as powerfull as slackware, and most importantly as fast.
    what about wireless? I use my laptop wireless sometimes.
    Wireless is an issue regardless of what Linux distro you choose. I've never really used it so I can't say. I did have a Linksys WMP54G wireless card once, but to get it to work I needed to download a proprietary wrapper. There's a free alternative called ndiswrapper, but I've never tried it myself.

As far as speed goes, it all depends on how you configure your system. You can recompile your kernel and turn off any unneccessary services too if that floats your boat. It's just as configurable as Slack.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Debian makes you spotty.

HTH

</runs>
    Umm.. what? I'll wager a guess and say that's a euphemism for acne?
    Yup

Only joking of course. About Debian.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly