Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed Debian for the first time, and it wouldn't properly configure the X windows... The error says, no screens found I need some direction, I wouldn't know what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

monitor problems, no X windows...

I just installed Debian for the first time, and it wouldn't properly configure the X windows...

The error says,

no screens found

I need some direction, I wouldn't know what to edit or where to start.

Linux Engineer
    gather some info about your system such as video card and monitor specs. then do xf86config or xorgconfig at the command line (i'm not too familiar with debain so i'm not sure which one). this should take you through the x windows setup, and then you should be able to run startx

can you post the entire error message output? there's gotta be something other than just "no screens found"

edit: you might want to add -textmode at the end of either of those commands so you're not setting it up with a gui

Just Joined!
    thanks... but i'm just gonna go back to windows

Linux Engineer
    oh dear...

what may i ask pushed you over the edge?

Just Joined!
    From a guy who has installed Linux in 3 different distributions over as many years... Linux is not easy to install. Or rather it's easy to install just painfully difficult to get every thing working. Like X for one, Network for another, Getting Apache installed and working the way you want it to. How about just getting Mozilla to run Java Applets?

To top it off, the Linux community, by and large, are pretty snooty. Any IRChat room for Linux you go into will have a few guys who believe it's their duty to harrass anyone who has a question.

But if you like a challenge Ryan, you'll be back. It keeps getting easier as it becomes more mainstream.

Just Joined!
    Hey Ryan, I just got my Xwindows running. try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" from prompt.

This is pretty much what you see when you installed XFree86. This time through, I selected NOT to use FrameBuffers, the default is to use it. I don't know for sure if this solved everything but it works now!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mainiac
    From a guy who has installed Linux in 3 different distributions over as many years... Linux is not easy to install. Or rather it's easy to install just painfully difficult to get every thing working. Like X for one, Network for another, Getting Apache installed and working the way you want it to. How about just getting Mozilla to run Java Applets?

To top it off, the Linux community, by and large, are pretty snooty. Any IRChat room for Linux you go into will have a few guys who believe it's their duty to harrass anyone who has a question.

But if you like a challenge Ryan, you'll be back. It keeps getting easier as it becomes more mainstream.
    heh, try *BSD...

Just Joined!
    Same situation here. Installed Debian, 1st time linux user.

Same error when executing startx

The machine is connected to an LCD (I have no idea about it's rates), and has an nvidia/tnt2/vanta card.

I tried a few different configs using xf86config, but am not having any luck.

Any ideas?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by erich

The machine is connected to an LCD (I have no idea about it's rates), and has an nvidia/tnt2/vanta card.

Any ideas?
    You can use the driver "nv" to get an nvidia card to run X. But to get hardware acceleration you need to download and install the "nvidia" driver from www.nvidia.com
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey8
    Quote Originally Posted by erich

Any ideas?
    You can use the driver "nv" to get an nvidia card to run X. But to get hardware acceleration you need to download and install the "nvidia" driver from www.nvidia.com
    thanks, but tried that already

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast