Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I tried compiling to a new kernel - 2.6.8.1 and the compiling process worked. I installed the source and made an initrd image to enable me to boot into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling the Debian Kernel + Networking question

Hello,

I tried compiling to a new kernel - 2.6.8.1 and the compiling process worked. I installed the source and made an initrd image to enable me to boot into the kernel. MY question is what happens to the old kernel (2.4....)? It still shows up in the GRUB listing and I can still boot into that. I would like to have only one kernel on my system. Please let me know if this is the right way to organize Debian.

Another question is about networking. Why do I have to run dhclient eth0 every time I login to get my Networking working? Shouldn't I be able to be connected every time I boot into Linux?
    Thanks in advance.

You can remove the old kernel by removing the actual kernel image and then removing the grub entry for it. The location of your kernel image will be in grub.conf under that entry.

Keep in mind that it's a good idea to leave an older kernel on your box until you are sure that the new kernel works completely. Fail-safes are good things.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy