Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
do ./configure install all the dependencies do make clean go for the dpkg-buildpackage or dh_make btw: which package are we talking about?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

do ./configure
    install all the dependencies
    do make clean
    go for the dpkg-buildpackage or dh_make

btw: which package are we talking about?

s3a
    Just Joined!
    I am not trying to get a package but rather I am doing this for the sole purpose of learning how. I do not want to learn the "cheap workaround" ways like checkinstall though.

To answer the question, I am trying to compile acetoneiso (even though it's in the repositories).

Here is what I did in the terminal:
    Code:
    deniz@debian:~$ cd /home/deniz/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ dh_make --createorig

Type of package: single binary, indep binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module, kernel patch or cdbs?
     [s/i/m/l/k/n/b] s

Maintainer name : Deniz Akcal
    Email-Address	: deniz@debian 
    Date				: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:58:28 -0400
    Package Name	 : acetoneiso
    Version			: 2.2.2
    License			: blank
    Using dpatch	 : no
    Type of Package : Single
    Hit <enter> to confirm: 
    Currently there is no top level Makefile. This may require additional tuning.
    Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. You should also
    check that the acetoneiso Makefiles install into $DESTDIR and not in / .
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ ls
    about.cpp          debian         global_functions.h  options.h
    about.h            devices.h      gmount.h            play.h
    acetoneiso.cpp     donate.h       history.h           progress.cpp
    acetoneiso.h       dvd_cover.h    isocd.h             progress.h
    a_options.h        eltorito.h     iso_from_pcgame.h   psp.h
    audiotools.h       encrypt.h      leggirigo.h         psxrip.h
    backup_audio.h     erase_cd.cpp   main.cpp            split.h
    burn_iso_2_cd.cpp  erase_cd.h     manual.cpp          status_mounted.h
    burn_iso_2_cd.h    erase_dvd.cpp  manual.h            status_mounted_no_boot.h
    compress.h         erase_dvd.h    md5check.h          udf.h
    connections.h      foldertoiso.h  messages.h          umount_check.h
    converter.h        formatcd.h     mount.h             utube.h
    database.h         gencue.h       options.cpp         vidgen.h
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ ./configurebash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ sudo ./configure
    sudo: ./configure: command not found
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ /.configurebash: /.configure: No such file or directory
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ sudo /.configure
    sudo: /.configure: command not found
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ /.configure
    bash: /.configure: No such file or directory
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$ ./configurebash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    deniz@debian:~/Desktop/acetoneiso_2.2.2/acetoneiso/acetoneiso-2.2.2$
    So I am basically stuck at finding the dependencies again. I tried ./configure and it doesn't help me. I am probably not using it right, in which case I would really appreciate if you could point out my mistake.

P.S.
    This particular package has a readme with the dependencies but I want to learn a universal way of having dpkg (or some other Linux tool) check the dependencies manually.

I don't think there is a universal way.

There a script I found somewhere on the web when I was playing with Slackware, which uses ldd to check binaries for missing libraries.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# script to find dependancies

dir="${1}"

if [ "${dir}" == "" ]; then
    	echo "You must pass a directory as a parameter."
    	exit 1
    fi

echo "The following file in ${dir} depend on a lib and will need to be rebuilt:"

( cd "${dir}" &&
      for file in *
      do
        if [ ! -d ${file} ]; then
          elf=`file ${file} | grep ELF`
          if [ "${elf}" != "" ]; then
              missing=`ldd ${file} | grep "not found"`
              if [ "${missing}" != "" ]; then
                echo "-------"
                echo "${file}"
    	    echo "${missing}"
              fi
          fi
        fi
      done
    )
    Arch Linux has a custom tool, namcap, to check for common errors in PKGBUILDS. You could peruse the code for that and see what exactly it does. Some of it is Arch specific, some not.

Configuration scripts with the source code are common but not universal. It is generally run
    Code:
    ./configure
    The ./ preceding it is simply directing the shell to look in the current directory for the command, else it would search your $PATH and come up empty handed.
    To get a list of build time options, you can frequently do
    Code:
    ./configure --help

Regarding acetone2 specifically, the developers were kind enough to include a clear list in the README file. That is the easiest way to determine dependencies, and most developers will include it.

######################## GENERAL INFORMATION ######################################

AcetoneISO is a CD/DVD image manipulator for GNU/Linux.

- the official website is:
    AcetoneISO Official Website

Released under the GNU GPL3 License,
    this software is brought to you from Fabrizio Di Marco and Marco Di Antonio.

########################### DEPENDENCIES ##########################################

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    - fuseiso
    - fuse-utils
    - libqt4-gui 4.5 and libqtwebkit 4.5 or later
    - genisoimage (may be part of cdrkit package)
    - cdrdao
    - p7zip-full
    - gnupg-agent
    - gnupg2
    - pinentry-qt4
    - ffmpeg
    - mencoder
    - cdparanoia

Note for 64bit users: the package "ia32-libs" is also required(read QUICK NOTES below for more info).

############################# INSTALL #############################################

a) You must have libqt4-dev 4.5 and libphonon-dev or later and the standard gcc compiler (gcc,g++,make) installed.

b) open a terminal inside acetoneiso folder and type:

qmake-qt4 (if it gives errors simply type "qmake" instead)
    make
    make install (must be run as root user)

c) it is now time to add your user to fuse group. this step is not needed on all systems, for example from Ubuntu Hardy and up this
    step is not required.

open a terminal, login as root user and type:

modprobe fuse
    chmod 4755 /usr/bin/fusermount (may be /bin/fusermount on ubuntu systems and others)
    chmod o+rw /dev/fuse
    addgroup <your-user> fuse (example: "addgroup johndoe fuse")

That's it! You Succesfully installed AcetoneISO!

x) if you want to uninstall AcetoneISO,
    simply type from acetoneiso2/src/ folder:

make uninstall (must be root user)

############################# QUICK NOTES ###########################################

- there are serious issues if you install fuseiso < 2007xxx version.
    be sure to have the latest one installed.

- AcetoneISO uses poweriso binary file to convert and extract images.
    It is not shipped with our software and will be downloaded when needed from PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive .
    Poweriso is a Freeware software so sources are not available.
    Please note that it will only work on x86 32-bit Operating Systems.
    It is however possible to make it run on x64 64-bit OS, for example you must
    install at least "ia32-libs" package. Other packages may be required.
    You can see as well that acetone2 does not use a configure script.

The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ - Basics of the Debian package management system

The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ - The Debian package management tools

Debian New Maintainers' Guide

Debian Reference

Debian -- DDP Developers' Manuals

Debian User Forums &bull; View topic - HowTo Build a Package from Source the Smart Way

Debreate - Debian package builder GTK-Apps.org
    Debreate - Debian package builder

Debreate is Graphical User Interface to aid in building Debian packages (.deb).

The goal behind debreate is to make developing for Debian based Linux distributions more appealing, with an easy to use interface for packaging applications, artwork, media, etc.
    Mentors is the system that the Debian project uses to train new people to become Debian Developers or Debian Maintainers and
    get their packages into the Debian archive. Debian Mailing Lists -- Index for debian-mentors mentors.debian.net #debian-mentors on irc.debian.org
    Last edited by craigevil; 07-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
    Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
    Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    What you can do is to get the upstream (the "original") version and compile+install that in a different directory. I usually put such custom dependencies somewhere under $HOME with the --prefix command in ./configure.

Then you compile the program itself and tell if (via configure) to use the dependencies from your home directory.

Often this is a recursive process, as the dependencies itself depend on newer version of libraries you have to install first. At some point it was just to much work to do for me, and I decided to upgrade to unstable.
    Thanks for your answer but, I don't want to compile the ./configure make, make install way. I want to specifically made .deb files. I guess a better question would be: is there a terminal command (or something similar) that does not do or install anything but instead just tells me what the dependencies of a particular package that I am trying to compile are?

Typically, the best resource for that would be the README that is usually included in the source.

Other than that, as mentioned above, there really isn't a method to 'just find' the dependencies.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2