Find the answer to your Linux question:
good morning, I could do so much if only I could install most packages. About 80% of the time ,after I download a tar package to install,even from the repositories, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling/no make file

good morning,
    I could do so much if only I could install most packages.
    About 80% of the time ,after I download a tar package to install,even from the repositories, it doesn't have a make or make install file. So I cannot install.
    Very frustrating. Any ideas. thank you.....

These files are not included in the package; they are created as part of the configuration process. The usual sequence with installing source packages is:

1) Unpack the tarball in your home directory using gunzip and tar -xf.
    2) Go into the new directory which has been created.
    3) ./configure.
    4) make.
    5) make install (as root).

It is stage 3 that creates the Makefile used in stages 4 and 5.

Why are you installing from source anyway? It's much easier to get binary packages using apt-get or synaptic.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    These files are not included in the package; they are created as part of the configuration process. The usual sequence with installing source packages is:

1) Unpack the tarball in your home directory using gunzip and tar -xf.
    2) Go into the new directory which has been created.
    3) ./configure.
    4) make.
    5) make install (as root).

It is stage 3 that creates the Makefile used in stages 4 and 5.

Why are you installing from source anyway? It's much easier to get binary packages using apt-get or synaptic.
    I got some problem same. But, in my case there were makefile inside my directory source. What should i do? Sometimes some program only given by source code.

Every source package contains a README file. Often there is an INSTALL file as well. One or other of them will contain full instructions foir installing. The method I gave before, using ./config, make and make install, is the commonest method and works for about 90% of packages, but if a different one is needed for a particular package, README or INSTALL will tell you.

As a general rule, you should always read instructions before asking questions.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!

Red face installing tarball package

many times ,from my experience, I download a tar app that doesnt have 'configure ,make ,or make install. The READ ME says to use ./configure,make,make install. Im at an impasse. I agree instaling from the repository is the safest and most trouble free procedure. I was curious as to why those source packages aren't complete.......thank you for response.....