Find the answer to your Linux question:
About a week ago, ordered the single disk distribution of both SUSE LInux 9.1 Personal , and Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 install . I have installed Mandrake 8.1 a number ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Install Partitioning

About a week ago, ordered the single disk distribution of both SUSE LInux 9.1 Personal, and Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 install.

I have installed Mandrake 8.1 a number of times, out of simple curiosity about Linux. It has a very good graphical partitioner.

I have already already had this question answered for SUSE Linux.

QUESTION
    My HD has 5 DOS/WIN partitions both primary and logical. I have 13 GB of unformatted space. Does Debian need to reformat my whole drive?
    Will Debian provide me with different formatting options? Is it a graphical, menu, or command line type of partitioner.

If Debian is anything like Mandrake 8.1, I will end up installing it again and again. I want to solve any questions about partitioning before starting the first install.

Jack[

Re: Debian Install Partitioning

Quote Originally Posted by stewjack
    QUESTION
    Should be plural. (sorry...had to).

OT - No, you will not have to reformat your whole drive. IIRC, Debian has an ncurses installer (thereby using fdisk or cfdisk), but it's been awhile since I've installed a Debian.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    debian doesn't have a fancy partitioner front end like mandrake (although they are working on one)
    there is a simple graphical setup which is straight forward to use and you have full control of partitioning, nothing will be changed until you select to write it to disc.
    the only partitions that will be formatted are the ones you initalise on the actual installation setup.
    debian can be a little daunting if you are coming from a hold your hand type of distro but is real easy if you know how to read instruction

have a look at the install options by pressing F1, there will be a option to install with 2.4 kernel as 2.2 will be installed by default and you won't have access to ext3 at 1st - bf24 is the boot option i think

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by FyberOptyx
    there is a simple graphical setup which is straight forward to use and you have full control of partitioning, nothing will be changed until you select to write it to disc.
    Thank you - That answers my question. I recieved my SUSE and Debian disks yesterday. So far I have installed SUSE 4 times! I am beginning to think that PartionMagic 7.0 can't recognise the SUSE partition format - ? mephise ?

It keeps fixing the partition information! But thats not your problem.

I'll get around to Debian. I have given myself about a year to decide WinXP or Linux

Quote Originally Posted by FyberOptyx
    have a look at the install options by pressing F1, there will be a option to install with 2.4 kernel as 2.2 will be installed by default and you won't have access to ext3 at 1st - bf24 is the boot option i think
    That's way beyong me, Mandrak 8.1 used ext2 and swap, and something called home. Could you point me to a simple explanation of Linux partition formats/labels.

Jack

Linux Newbie
    you may find something useful here
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/
    http://www.tldp.org/