Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless adapter help.

Hi! I have a wireless adapter and i am not sure is it supported by debian. It would certainly be a bad move if i reinstalled my system only to find out that the adapter i have is unsuported. It is an Edimax 7711UMn. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hello and Welcome!

This page is a great place to start. Read through, and post back with the requested info, please.

BTW, this is a USB device, correct?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hi Antiz. I've been researching your device and I believe it uses the Ralink chipset which is included in the kernel. I've not used straight Debian in a long time so you might have to do a kernel recompile to get it going if it isn't by default. I've also read where in Ubuntu 9.10, you have to blacklist modules rt2800usb and rt2870sta in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf do get the right Ralink module selected but again... not sure in straight Debian. Hope this helps...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank you for your help. Unfortunately i am not that experienced with linux and the whole kernel recompile seems too complicated oh and when installing ubuntu i had to blacklist the modules you mentioned so im gonna have to give it a try
    Thanks for your help

Oh and yes it is a USB adapter

Dan is right... and more specifically, I think it uses the rt3070 module. You should be able to download the drivers from the Ralink website.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Dan is right... and more specifically, I think it uses the rt3070 module. You should be able to download the drivers from the Ralink website.
    If you use the rt3070 driver, then there is a problem with version 2.3.0.1. But I have found a way to correct the problem, so that you can use the most current driver. You can read how in my new sticky in the Wireless section.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...ts-kernel.html
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thumbs up

Very nice!
    I hadn't seen that sticky yet!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

ok so i downloaded the RT3070 driver, and uncompressed it. Typed make and everything went fine but when typed make install i got errors. Upon analysing the error i noticed that instead of 3070STA.dat i had 2870sta.dat and thats why it wont let me install. I dont know if im doing this right if not direct me to the light please

debian:/home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208# make install
    make -C /home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/Wireless': File exists
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/os/linux'
    rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT3070STA
    mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT3070STA
    cp /home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/RT3070STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT3070STA/.
    cp: cannot stat `/home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/RT3070STA.dat': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/antiz/Desktop/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/os/linux'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

is the error i get

Yeah, this driver is a bit screwed up. But fortunately it is simple to fix.

Did you read the link that I posted on this? Look back about 4 posts. Here's the link again:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...ts-kernel.html

That will fix the compile error, which you glossed over. For the other error, copy the RT2870STA file, and rename it RT3070STA.
    Code:
    cp RT2870STA.dat RT3070STA.dat
    You should now rebuild the driver, but first run this command, in the driver folder.
    Code:
    make clean
    There may be one more "modification" (aka:hack) needed. You may need to add your device ID to the proper source file, so that the driver is associated with your wireless. More on this if you need it.

Isn't this fun??!! You couldn't do this kind of stuff in Windows, even if you wanted to! If the driver didn't work, you'd be screwed!
    Last edited by waterhead; 04-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thanks for your reply. So i read ur post, edited the source and changed the name of the files and i had no errors. Only one question: What to do next? I keep hearing about loading the module and what not but im clueless in these thigs. Im still a linux newbie. What should i do next?