Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think my situation is sufficiently similar that I'll post my question here. 1) After a PC crash, I removed both HDs, formatted them, replaced them in the machine. 2) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot

I think my situation is sufficiently similar that I'll post my question here.

1)
    After a PC crash, I removed both HDs, formatted them, replaced them in the machine.

2)
    Originally the smaller Drive was C:, and I got them reversed when I replaced them.

3)
    I installed XP first. I wanted it on the smaller drive. I was part-way through the installation when I realized that the computer now regarded the smaller Hard Drive "D:" I completed XP's installation that way.

4)
    Next I installed Debian (knowing very little about GRUB). I didn't worry when the second installation said it couldn't detect any other OS on the computer. I let it write its Boot information, counting on its reassurance that GRUB could be altered afterward if, in fact, there was a 2nd OS installed on the computer.
    Of course, Debian now boots, GRUB needs to be pointed to XP's location, and I'd like to clarify a couple things before I start typing things into the Terminal.

5)
    How_bad_is_it.doc
    Is it okay to proceed with assigning commands in BASH, or should I back-step one or more steps and setup everything differently.
    If the current situation with XP on "D:" isn't trouble, what are the commands I need to type in Terminal, please, so that GRUB is able to double-boot.
    (I'm using a single Debian Live CD.)

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome !

We have to check partition structure of your Hard disk first.
    In most of machines, Windows OS doesn't boot up if you install it in other than First Primary Partition of Hard disk.

Boot up Debian and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    su -
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    Post output here.

Post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi

I'm on a different computer than the PC I'm fixing, and we're not networked.
    I think the information we're looking for with /sbin/fdisk/ -l is:

Device , Boot , Start , End , Blocks , Id , System ,
    /dev/sda1 , , 1 , 688 , 4883728+ , 83 , Linux ,
    /dev/sda2 , , 68472 , 60801 , 2650725 , 5 , Extended ,
    /dev/sda5 , , 68472 , 60801 , 2650693+ , 82 , Linux Swap / Solaris ,

/dev/sdb1 , * , 1 , 30400 , 244187968+ , 7 , HPFS/NTFS ,

...and I see that this editor won't use all the spaces I'm typing between data. So I'm using commas to mark the columns.
    -------------
    The other file is 132 lines long, and sorry, I can't copy all of that from that screen to here.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Windows OS has been installed in the first Partition of Second Hard disk.
    Open /boot/grub/menu.lst file with root privileges and add code for Windows OS.
    Code:
    su -
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Add this code at the end of file :
    Code:
    title Windows OS
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file. Reboot machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hello

That code has helped. Windows OS is now on a choice menu during boot-up.

I am receiving a new message now:

NTLDR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I'm now looking for information about what is "NTLDR".

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Hello again

"NTLDR is Missing"

I've found a list of several possible causes for this error message and I decided to narrow it down to
    3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.

So I attempted to fix it from Windows during boot-up. Now I can't access the Administrator mode. (I probably skipped over the password setting during installation, thinking it didn't matter if no one else is using this machine. Tsk-tsk)

And, I can't access that drive from within Debian. (Haven't figured what a 'mount point' needs, for setup.)

I'm kind of out of time. I need Windows for a project I'm starting this week. Debian's loaded on the computer because I want to learn it.
    I can't spend so much time with Linux right now, I need that XP access first.

So, here's a different question: How do I uninstall Debian? I'm going to backtrack or start over, get those Drives right, so that when Debian installs, Grub will recognize the other OS right away.
    I'd love to play with this further, I'm glad for the help and for what I'm learning by working with the code, but I don't have any more time, this weekend.

I know there's a time-difference, your place from mine, so I'll leave it until closer to my-evening, then I guess I'll reformat the HDs if I can't find a kinder, gentler way of fixing this.

And thanks again for your time and help with this.

Just Joined!
    you can go in xp in the disk management just delete the partition of debian, then just re install debian,