Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks, I removed a hard drive from a failed Buffalo LinkStation NAS. The drive was 1TB and formatted in XFS. I installed Debian Linux on my Mac using Virtual Box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Read Superblock - need help.

Folks, I removed a hard drive from a failed Buffalo LinkStation NAS. The drive was 1TB and formatted in XFS. I installed Debian Linux on my Mac using Virtual Box just so I could get to the files.

When plugin the drive (via USB) two volumes show up, but there's another that I can't seem to open (and may have all of the shared files I need). It's the largest volume (over 900 MB).

I keep reading to run xfs_repair, but when I type that in the terminal, I am given "command not found". I am not sure how to use it.

Also when I try to open the volume I am given "can't open superblock" error.

I am not too familiar with using Linux and ma just trying to get to my files.

Please help/advise.

You'll have to install the XFS utilities first - it should be 'apt-get install xfs_repair'

Hope this helps!
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I typed in your string in my root terminal and it replied "couldn't find package xfs_repair"

How do I go about getting this and installing it?

I'm sorry, I wrote the wrong package - it should be xfsdump (here's a list of everything which this package provides - xfsrestore is a part of it). So 'apt-get xfsdump'.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com