Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day everyone, I have been unlucky searching Google and this site concerning this and hope that someone on here has either done this before or could point me in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create Lenny repository from Distro CD's

G'day everyone,

I have been unlucky searching Google and this site concerning this and hope that someone on here has either done this before or could point me in the right direction.

I have a computer on my network that I want to use as a local repository for apt. I've got the set of Debian Lenny 5.04 CD's and would like to know how to put all of the packages from those CD's onto this computer and then use it as a local source for my Debian computers to get packages from.

The CD's appear to hold all of the packages in the folder /pool if that helps at all.

Cheers,

Griffo

Just Joined!
    Interesting, I think this will work if I can figure out the following

each CD has its packages in the following structure:

/pool/main/a
    /pool/main/b
    /pool/main/c
    etc

There are some other directories that are words, not just alphabetic lettering and each CD appears to overlap many directories. I'm curious if there is an easy way to copy just the .deb files on each CD to:

/var/www/debian/lenny/main/

An easy command for each CD rather than doing it individually for each directory would be very appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, just something basic would be
    Code:
    find /media/cdrom -name "*.deb" -exec cp {} /var/www/debian/lenny/main \;
    Replace /media/cdrom with the path to where your CD is mounted.

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been trying to get this to work now for a while. reed9, this command works perfectly and I've used it to transfer all 31 CD's to this directory, however I cannot find the dpkg-scanpackes program. I had to wait a week for the wife to send me the rest of the distro CD's (I had 10 corrupt .ISO's) thinking that it could have possibly been on one of those...I have less than 33.6kbps access to the internet where I am so I could not just download the CD's again.

after getting APT to read the CD's for package info I still cannot find dpkg-scanpackage, I'm sure there is no spelling mistake...is it possible the file name was changed? Is there another way of producing what I want? I think it would be awesome to have an embedded web/repository server...thanks in advance for any insite you might have for my problem.

Cheers,

Griffo

EDIT*** I'm using 5.04 Lenny, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Hello,

dpkg-scanpackages is provided by the package dpkg-dev.