Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just installed Debian (again) and I cannot see the graphical interface. I am left at the command prompt at boot and have to type startx after I logon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian install GUI problem

Hello,
    I just installed Debian (again) and I cannot see the graphical interface. I am left at the command prompt at boot and have to type startx after I logon to start KDE (and save my preferences all over again).
    I did a minimal install from Debian CD and over the network and for some reason tasksel did not work for me. I therefore installed KDEbase x-window-system later using aptitude. Now for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to boot into KDE by default. I tried running
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (what I had read on this forum) and although that did allow me to reconfigure X, I still cannot boot into graphical mode directly.
    One other thing: All the cursors I see are X cursors (black arrow, small watch). How do I get to use KDE cursors by default?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    You need to setup the default login manager to kdm in your situation. I'll edit this post once I get home with more information on how to do this.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    I did try configuring KDM, the console shows that KDM starts up and that XDM does not as KDM is the default.
    I installed GDM and it works fine., although I do not know how. I do not want to use GDM, but I have to since that is the only one which allows me to login graphically without having to use startx or kdm.

Linux Engineer
    So you do have a graphical login via KDM?

To change the mouse cursor theme, first you'll have to find the theme you like: apt-cache search themes | grep -i mouse

(There are other ways to find the package)

Then install the package and then after that, run: update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    My previous post might be confusing. I have kdm set as my default manager, but if I keep using it, then I do not get the graphical interface.
    I installed GDM, removed XDM and now, I get the familiar GNOME login screen. Why is this? I mean, I dont want to use GNOME at all, why can't KDM boot into the GUI by itself as GDM does?
    I tried all other things suggested such as changing the runlevel in /etc/inittab and so forth, but nothing works.
    I tried running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but that does not help either.
    The summary is this:
    I need a GUI when I boot up, GDM works (but I dont want to use it) and KDM does not, no matter what I do.
    Thanks for the help.

Linux Newbie
    there is a file called /etc/X11/default-display-manager
    change this to /usr/bin/kdm, see if this works

Just Joined!
    Parcifal, I had the same problem on my parents computer a few months ago, KDM just wouldn't start up at boot, but when you logged in as root and ran it from the command line it would start normally. There are a few bug reports on this, but I haven't seen any progress and I still have the same issue even after weekly apt-get updates.

As bad as it sounds, you may just have to suck it up and use GDM or XDM.

Here's the DB page:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...kdm&archive=no

Linux Newbie
    kdm works fine for me here after a fresh install

Just Joined!
    I agree with ecliptic...it seems like a bug since it affected me 2 out of 3 times while installing Debian. I cannot figure out why it worked when it did. I am using gdm for now (not something I would have chosen) and hoping it is fixed soon.