Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this problem constantly and it tells me to install such and so a prog, but I do locate[prog] and it shows up in 80 places so it's obviously ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] compiling sources

I have this problem constantly and it tells me to install such and so a prog, but I do locate[prog] and it shows up in 80 places so it's obviously installed..
    I just have no clue how to attach the two or to set up anything in the ./confige set up so it leaves me completely stuck and I have no idea how to deal with it..
    I used to know, but old age ya know..
    So what's the trick when it's already in there?

Also..it says I just joined? in 2008.. HA!
    Last edited by mram49; 04-28-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: heck of it

Which package are you trying to install? Could you post any error message here?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yeah you need to give a little more info
    Also..it says I just joined? in 2008.. HA!"
    Thats because you only have 3 posts (i think)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Not sure if further information is coming. But one suggestion is to make sure the program in question has a link to it in the $PATH. Sometimes a program is installed but required it's full path to be called to run it. Then another program is looking for it without calling the complete directory tree. Symbolic links are your friends in times like this.

Mostly when you are compiling software and executing the ./configure it will show you exactly which libraries/programs it is missing. Try installing the latest version of the library or program that configure is missing.

When you installed the dependency program/library try re executing ./configure and see if it now does not complain and finishes the job.

When it does execute:
    Code:
    make
    After that:
    Code:
    su
    root password
    Code:
    make install
    Better to execute after every newly installed program:
    Code:
    ldconfig

Just Joined!

Question That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by System6Hosting View Post
    Not sure if further information is coming. But one suggestion is to make sure the program in question has a link to it in the $PATH. Sometimes a program is installed but required it's full path to be called to run it. Then another program is looking for it without calling the complete directory tree. Symbolic links are your friends in times like this.
    I already got what I had been trying to install done, but this is the trick that had always screwed me up to the ceiling and I learn it then have to RELEARN how to fix this every stinking time..
    The PATH and symbolic links!
    I always, always, always seem to get the same stupid message,
    consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    Why this won't stick in my brain is another mystery, but it just doesn't.. However if someone would be kind enough to tell me the trick I will make a image with directions and make that image as my desktop background image! Really! No Kidding!
    The one it always tells me is missing, and i KNOW it's in about 87 different places is glib-2.0
    So...care to fill me in here for the 9047th time so I'll never forget?
    Thanks..and my hair might even grow back in after having pulled every strand out!