Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm configuring a thin client to be used as an Internet radio. I installed Lenny using 'Standard' choice from the taskel. Other packages are : - MOC (Music On ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Lenny on CPU VIA 800-Mhz with 256-RAM

Hello,
    I'm configuring a thin client to be used as an Internet radio.

I installed Lenny using 'Standard' choice from the taskel.
    Other packages are :
    - MOC (Music On Console)
    - Fluxbox window manager (with base setup)
    - conky (to monitor resources)

Hardware is :
    - Processor: VIA Eden 800 MHz
    - RAM: 256 MByte DDR266 RAM
    - Flashcard is 2-Gb
    - Graphics card: VIA 2D/3D graphics with MPEG2
    - Sound card: AC97 2.2

After Lenny installation packages are +- 390, disk usage is +- 40%

It runs fine but ... with time to time some freezes at level 99%.
    By 99% I mean system seems to react (ie. mouse will move somtime) but is in fact totally useless.
    When freeze happens conky shows usages approx. less 25% for CPU, less than 75% for RAM.

My questions are :

- are there some logs files where I can trace some problems of resources ..etc.. ?

- this hardware is enough for a Lenny light-weight config ? I will consider yes here...

Note : Yes I know lots of good light-weight distros exist elsewhere in the Open community are they're great, but here I just would like to test Lenny and setup myself as an exercise (and hopefully a fully working Internet radio too).

Thanks for attention.
    Bye,
    Bruno

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcostacurta View Post
    Hello,
    I'm configuring a thin client to be used as an Internet radio.

I installed Lenny using 'Standard' choice from the taskel.
    Other packages are :
    - MOC (Music On Console)
    - Fluxbox window manager (with base setup)
    - conky (to monitor resources)

Hardware is :
    - Processor: VIA Eden 800 MHz
    - RAM: 256 MByte DDR266 RAM
    - Flashcard is 2-Gb
    - Graphics card: VIA 2D/3D graphics with MPEG2
    - Sound card: AC97 2.2

After Lenny installation packages are +- 390, disk usage is +- 40%

It runs fine but ... with time to time some freezes at level 99%.
    By 99% I mean system seems to react (ie. mouse will move somtime) but is in fact totally useless.
    When freeze happens conky shows usages approx. less 25% for CPU, less than 75% for RAM.

My questions are :

- are there some logs files where I can trace some problems of resources ..etc.. ?

- this hardware is enough for a Lenny light-weight config ? I will consider yes here...

Note : Yes I know lots of good light-weight distros exist elsewhere in the Open community are they're great, but here I just would like to test Lenny and setup myself as an exercise (and hopefully a fully working Internet radio too).

Thanks for attention.
    Bye,
    Bruno
    Hello Bruno - I have a couple of motherboards with a different 800 mhz VIA cpu - but it has a similar problem. The problem with my computers is that the CPU is ALMOST a 686, but there are one or 2 686 instructions missing. Some installers recognize it as a 686, but when it hits the unimplemented instruction, it freezes or crashes.

You might do a web search to see if that Eden CPU is really a 686. If it isn't, see if there's a way to install using a 486 or 386 kernel. I'm running Ubuntu on my VIA systems, without such a problem.

I did a search just now on Google - search for "VIA Eden cpu i686" - you'll find that your CPU is in the not-quite-686 class, as is my VIA Samuel CPU.

So try Ubuntu or see if you can control what kernel is installed for Debian. A 386 or 486 kernel should work fine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by velikij View Post
    You might do a web search to see if that Eden CPU is really a 686. If it isn't, see if there's a way to install using a 486 or 386 kernel. I'm running Ubuntu on my VIA systems, without such a problem.

I did a search just now on Google - search for "VIA Eden cpu i686" - you'll find that your CPU is in the not-quite-686 class, as is my VIA Samuel CPU.

So try Ubuntu or see if you can control what kernel is installed for Debian. A 386 or 486 kernel should work fine.
    There is an option to install 486 kernel with the Lenny expert install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by r31griffo View Post
    There is an option to install 486 kernel with the Lenny expert install.
    Thanks - I'll have to try the expert install on my VIA systems soon - right now I'm involved in some Ubuntu testing on them. It looks like this should work for Bruno!

Quote Originally Posted by velikij View Post
    Hello Bruno - I have a couple of motherboards with a different 800 mhz VIA cpu - but it has a similar problem. The problem with my computers is that the CPU is ALMOST a 686, but there are one or 2 686 instructions missing. Some installers recognize it as a 686, but when it hits the unimplemented instruction, it freezes or crashes.

{snip}

VIA does seem to specialize in CPU's with instruction sets that aren't *quite* up to their peers; I have an older 800MHz VIA Samuel (Samuel 2?) as my inactive reserve desktop; it's almost impossible to find distros newer than 2008 that work on it. Most current LiveCD's fail at boot with the error "CMOV instruction needed". Currently, I have Ark Linux 2008 installed on it, but I'll have to look into that expert Lenny install, thanx for the tip.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheralt View Post
    VIA does seem to specialize in CPU's with instruction sets that aren't *quite* up to their peers; I have an older 800MHz VIA Samuel (Samuel 2?) as my inactive reserve desktop; it's almost impossible to find distros newer than 2008 that work on it. Most current LiveCD's fail at boot with the error "CMOV instruction needed". Currently, I have Ark Linux 2008 installed on it, but I'll have to look into that expert Lenny install, thanx for the tip.
    I have the same problem with live CDs on the VIA systems - would love to try the current Fedora or Mandriva, but they won't boot for the same reason. Also some won't recognize the on-board display controller. I think it's rather stupid of the distro creators to issue a live CD that doesn't work on 486 systems - after all, it's for a demo, for installation - then you or the installer can select the right kernel. Another thing is throwing out manual selection of screen resolution - some display controller / monitor combos can't be recognized automatically.

Linux Newbie
    Kernel is a 486 from Debian Lenny v5.0.4 via expert installation mode.
    uname -r : 2.6.26-2-486

Unfortunately it does not work...

I still have time to time (around once per hour) a quite full freeze.
    I can restart the Fluxbox but at a very slow and unusable speed.
    RAM and disk are correct with less than 50%.
    A top command display a Xorg at 99%.
    A problem with Xorg ?
    I cannot restart it with crtl+alt+backspace, and have to shutdown system to restart it.

Bye,
    Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by bcostacurta View Post
    A problem with Xorg ?
    I cannot restart it with crtl+alt+backspace, and have to shutdown system to restart it.
    Recent versions of Xorg have the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace-restart feature disabled, so that's okay.

How do you start your X server? You could probably hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get into another virtual terminal and kill X from there to see what happens.

Linux Newbie
    Indeed using Crtl-Alt-F1 opens another virtual console. From there I can restart the Xorg.
    From boot xdm is used to start Xorg and Fluxbox.

About my thin client freezing sometimes (the subject of this email thread), I let it running 48-hours during the week-end without any problem.
    So for the moment, well .. I don't know.

I'll post more information as soon I can give concrete and precise information.

Reminder : kernel is a 486 as the VIA seems to be not a true 686. However I had one or two freeze last week with this 486 kernel version.

Bye,
    Bruno

Linux Newbie
    Hello,

should I try to compile my own kernel ?

Indeed from kernel menuconfig there is a CPU choice VIA processor, which obviously seems to correspond to the VIA Eden processor present in my thin client.

Reminder : I tried the 486 kernel from the Lenny standard installation but I still face some freeze time-to-time. Probably due to some minor CPU instructions differences between both CPU.

Thanks for your advice.
    Bye,
    Bruno

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast