Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi all, I have Debian Lenny and I use Google Chrome for internet surfing. When I try to open a web page for any Microsoft site (microsoft dot com, msdn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can not access any Microsoft site

Hi all,

I have Debian Lenny and I use Google Chrome for internet surfing. When I try to open
    a web page for any Microsoft site (microsoft dot com, msdn dot microsoft dot com, etc) it times out and never shows the page nor I get 404. All I get : "Waiting for www dot microsoft dot com" .

I have a Window XP VirtualBox machine within Debian with nic card as bridge and I can connect with no problems.

What could it be?. DNS look up addresses in Debian and Windows virtual are the same.

TIA for your answers

Luis Hernandez

Just Joined!

can not access any Microsoft site

This is what I get from the browser:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at www dot microsoft dot com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Below is the original error message

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

Quote Originally Posted by luhernan View Post
    Hi all,

I have Debian Lenny and I use Google Chrome for internet surfing. When I try to open
    a web page for any Microsoft site (microsoft dot com, msdn dot microsoft dot com, etc) it times out and never shows the page nor I get 404. All I get : "Waiting for www dot microsoft dot com" .

I have a Window XP VirtualBox machine within Debian with nic card as bridge and I can connect with no problems.

What could it be?. DNS look up addresses in Debian and Windows virtual are the same.

TIA for your answers

Luis Hernandez

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure what is happening there, but I can verify that it's not MS blocking Linux machines as they have been reported to do in the past because I just tried the links and they work fine here under Arch and Firefox. Maybe someone running a setup more similar to yours will reply with some ideas about what the problem could be.
    oz

Hey thats weird i just tried those links and theyre working i have debian lenny amd64 i tried with both iceweasel and chrome, dont know what happen

Just Joined!
    Works fine here and pretty fast too. Lenny/Firefox 3.6.3

Works fine for me. Slackware 13.0, FF3.5

What happens when you do this:
    Code:
    dig www.microsoft.com
    And try to connect to it using the IP address? Just to rule out DNS related problems.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Can not access any Microsoft site
    Consider yourself liberated!!

Have you tried using a different browser? If you're using a laptop perhaps you could try using someone else's connection - it could be a bug at your ISP.
    I had no problem getting your MS sites with Trisquel and a rebranded Firefox 3.5.9. On the other hand I find it impossible to get this site: (hermanzone)
    I think it's my ISP (free.fr), but it could be the other end. If anyone likes to try, I'd be grateful. (How's that for a blatant attempt to hijack a thread)

No problems here using Firefox on CRUX. Have you tried eliminating all cookies related to those sites, restarting and trying again?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I tried
    Code:
     dig www microsoft com
    and browsing using the IP, same problem. But I just found out that It is not just Microsoft site but some others like IMDB or AOL.

I tried ICEWEASEL and EPIPHANY and same thing, waiting to open but nothing happens.

BTW, because I am new here the forum system does not allow me to send URLS so i have to put blanks or the word dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Works fine for me. Slackware 13.0, FF3.5

What happens when you do this:
    Code:
    dig www microsoft com
    And try to connect to it using the IP address? Just to rule out DNS related problems.

Quote Originally Posted by luhernan
    and browsing using the IP, same problem. But I just found out that It is not just Microsoft site but some others like IMDB or AOL.

I tried ICEWEASEL and EPIPHANY and same thing, waiting to open but nothing happens.
    Hmmm, I remember a little while ago someone had a similar problem, that turned out to be DNS related. So surfing using IP address, while cumbersome, did work. In your case it doesn't?

Let me ask you the standard questions:
    - Did it at one time work?
    - When did it stop working?
    - What changed?

Also, peculiar I don't know what to make of it, I'm noticing the sites you mention... while I can access them with no problem, they do not respond to ping requests. I have no idea. Coincidence perhaps? Or does this somehow interfere with one of your settings somewhere somehow? I have no idea if it could work like that, just thinking out loud. If there are more websites you cannot visit, try pinging them. Post results here.

If you feel in an adventurous mood, try this:
    Code:
    telnet www.imdb.com 80
    GET
    This will bring the HTML that normally passes through your browser where it gets interpreted and displayed right through your terminal as plain text. It's the equivalent of pressing [ctrl]+[u] to look at the source of a website from your browser. I'm just curious to know if this does anything. You can get out by pressing [ctrl]+[c]

-----

Another thing you can do, is change DNS servers. Edit /etc/resolv.conf, so that it looks like this:
    Code:
    # These are the openDNS nameservers, most probably
    # these settings will be overwritten by your defaults next reboot
    nameserver 208.67.222.220
    nameserver 208.67.220.222
    EDIT: oh backup your old resolv.conf just in case...
    Code:
    cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.original

Quote Originally Posted by luhernan
    BTW, because I am new here the forum system does not allow me to send URLS so i have to put blanks or the word dot.
    Yeah, I believe you have to have 15 posts for posting URLs. That's an anti-spam measure. As always the good suffer because of the bad.
    Last edited by Freston; 05-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast