Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day once again, I'm trying to create an embedded device, everything (thanks to this forum and google) is going well with it, but I'd like to improve the boot time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

speeding up boot times

G'day once again,

I'm trying to create an embedded device, everything (thanks to this forum and google) is going well with it, but I'd like to improve the boot time a little more if possible. My understanding is that /etc/init.d/udev discovers devices through modprobe and places them in /dev...is this correct? If so, how can I take this list of device drivers in /dev and make a permanent /dev directory and get rid of udev and modprobe during the boot sequence?

This seems easy in idea but I've struggled for a couple of days now...I look forward to your input on this.

Cheers,

Griffo

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

From my understanding, IF(...in my situation...) this is possible, then any hardware changes made to your box either by you or a "certain malfunction", say a blackout, means it will fail to init some processes vital for the OS's current work.
    Leave the boot sequencetime to the system's init process for that startup work.

Alternatively, go through your process table when booting(verbose mode) and identify the processes that you do not necessarily require nor commonly use(junk processes) and simply disable them. No6t much that I know of concerning this hunch I've hatched but manpages concerning such processes that you ID will assist you in learning how to disable these processes.

Any person with a different view, I'ld like to learn from...

Best wishes
    Njogu
    Last edited by njuguna; 05-14-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Just learned a possible way out of this!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by njuguna View Post
    From my understanding, IF(...in my situation...) this is possible, then any hardware changes made to your box either by you or a "certain malfunction", say a blackout, means it will fail to init some processes vital for the OS's current work.
    Leave the boot sequencetime to the system's init process for that startup work.
    I'm still very keen to try it. I've tried different things including trying to copy the directory...FAIL! As the hardware will never change, I believe (unless someone can explain otherwise) that this will work. I'm sure there would have to be a way to copy or list all of the drivers loaded then make a permanent /dev directory and disable modprobe and udev.

Quote Originally Posted by njuguna View Post
    Alternatively, go through your process table when booting(verbose mode) and identify the processes that you do not necessarily require nor commonly use(junk processes) and simply disable them. No6t much that I know of concerning this hunch I've hatched but manpages concerning such processes that you ID will assist you in learning how to disable these processes.

Any person with a different view, I'ld like to learn from...

Best wishes
    Njogu
    I've identified a few but it is such a long list. I'm still working through it, but thanks for your ideas.

Does anyone else have any ideas about /dev and eliminating udev and modprobe?

Cheers,

Griffo

Just Joined!
    Bump.

I still haven't managed to solve this...infact I've broken a couple of installations (test machines) trying to get it to work.

Anyone else have any ideas?

BootProcessSpeedup - Debian Wiki - BootProcessSpeedup - Debian Wiki
    Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
    Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
    Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi

Just Joined!
    very interesting. I'll try this "Boot Chart" program and simutaneous init scripts and dash but I'm a long way from the 5 second eeePC.

But thanks for the pointer.

this may be a little interesting for you Liquorix Project i dunno if it has something to do with your needs but in my case i get preety faster boot time compare with the "normal" kernel that comes by default