Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have an Debian System on which GUI is not enabled. How to Check that GUI can be started by some command or that has to be reinstalled....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting GUI on Debian

Hi
    I have an Debian System on which GUI is not enabled.

How to Check that GUI can be started by some command or that has to be reinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by shammi07 View Post
    Hi
    I have an Debian System on which GUI is not enabled.

How to Check that GUI can be started by some command or that has to be reinstalled.
    Hi and welcome shammi07!

Personally, I am not knowledgeable on how to enable GUI in the Debian system. I'm very confident though that the gurus can be of better help regarding that.

Although I have also encountered the same problem some time ago when I used lenny.
    I was able to solve it by making a fresh install making sure that my cable was connected to the internet during installation because I was just using an install cd then and the connection, I think, made sure that I get all the basic things I needed for my desktop to be as I want it to.

Now back to your problem

May I please know if this is a fresh install or was it already active before you got your hands on it. The reason I am asking is that you might want to make a backup of all important data before you start working on your machine.

What particular version do you have? And maybe you can also put some details regarding your machine too.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

In fedora machine "startx" command will start desktop environment. Check "startx" equivalent for debian machine. If you don't have such command on your machine.
    Try
    apt-get install kde-core kdm
    If above didn't work - use kde-desktop
    apt-get install kde-desktop
    Should give you desktop environment.

HTH

Startx should work in any distro; it's a universal Linux command. If it fails, the next step is to find out why.

Try typing "X". You should get a blank grey graphics screen with a cursor. If you do, then the X server is running OK and the problem is probably that you don't have a desktop environment running. Did you install one? KDE is not the only option; you can install Gnome or lxde (my recommendation) or a simple window manager - but you must have something.

If the X server does not seem to be running, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log (you can use the less command to page through it). This will show you where X failed. If you post the file here, someone will be able to tell you what you need to do next.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

If GUI has been installed then executing startx command should load it. You can edit /etc/inittab file to set it default.
    Last edited by devils casper; 08-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Try typing "X". You should get a blank grey graphics screen with a cursor. If you do, then the X server is running OK and the problem is probably that you don't have a desktop environment running. Did you install one?

I got the grey graphics screen. How do I exit out of it back to the command line?

Hi and Welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by neddac
    I got the grey graphics screen. How do I exit out of it back to the command line?
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 - F6 to switch back to command line. Alt+Ctrl+F7 is for GUI.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that!

That opened the command line mode however I can't enter any commands.

How can I logout etc?

(Sorry, I'm a complete novice)

Which Linux distro/version are you using?
    That opened the command line mode however I can't enter any commands.
    Did you log in there? Are you able to execute any command?
    Type exit to logout.
    shutdown -r now is for reboot and shutdown -h now is for shutdown.

I would suggest you to check linuxcommand.org.

Just Joined!
    When I type a command and hit enter it just scrolls to the next line.

There is no cursor or # symbol

I can't try the reboot/shutdown commands during the day but I#m guessing they will have the same outcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast