Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally posted this on a Debian specific forum, but I'm posting it here as well hoping someone will be able to help me. My goal here is to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iBook Debian Installation

I originally posted this on a Debian specific forum, but I'm posting it here as well hoping someone will be able to help me.

My goal here is to get a linux system working on a second gen ibook.

Here was my original post elsewhere:

"I've been making CDs of the CDs here:
    (I had to remove link for this forum, the link was
    cdimage.debian*org/debian-cd/5.0.4/powerpc/iso-cd/

Here are my approximations of the schematics of the iBook.
    It's a second Generation 2002 model.

-PowerPC G3, 600-700 MHz
    -12.1" TFT XGA active matrix display, 1024768 pixel resolution
    -640MB ram
    -ATI Mobility Radeon (2X AGP) with 16 MB of SDRAM
    -20GB ATA HDD
    -Tray-loading CD-ROM (600Mhz)
    -Original OS - 9.2

I work in IT, so I'm not a complete moron with computers, however I've worked almost entirely with Windows XP.
    So I'm a bit out of my area.

I've installed with JUST the 504 Binary 1 disc, and it worked, but was not in a visual setting. (I.E. It didn't have a desktop.) My first reaction was to acquire the 8 discs that are apparent in the linked page above, and try them all. This failed.
    So I did some research into the XFCE. And another Debian user told me that all I needed was the Binary 1, and XFCE disc.
    So, I've tried a few times, and this is what happens.

I boot up with Binary one, and type in "Install"
    I answer the questions accordingly.
    Language Region, etc.
    I don't have a network, so I "set up" a wireless, and it fails, and gives me the option "Do not set it up at this time"
    I partition the entire disc,
    and have all files on 1 partition.

I set my user name and password (I have another question below specifically about this.)

Then I get to the Package Manager.
    It asks if I wish to scan another disc, I select yes, put in the XFCE+lxde disc.

It scans the CD, and tells me it was successfully scanned. It asks if I wish to scan another, I say no.
    Then when prompted, I reinsert Binary 1.
    I say I don't want to participate in the package survey.

It asks what I wish to install software wise, with the Desktop, and System options starred.
    I hit enter, and it installs.
    About halfway through, the disc stops spinning, and it slows down, but continues to work.
    Once done with Binary 1, it asks for the XFCE disc. I place it in, and it installs.
    Then it asks for Bin 1 again, and I place it in.
    Then I get an Installation Failure notice.
    It's not exactly descriptive. It just says that the software installation failed.
    I can continue on to yaboot, and install that, and finish the installation.

When I load up the computer, it runs through start up as I expect is normal, but as the screen comes onto the Desktop display. (I.E. the log in screen)
    The Screen is split. About an inch tall segment at the bottom of the screen is displaying the top portion of the desktop.
    To the right side of the screen, for about 3 or 4 inches, it is black, and I am not able to move the mouse over there.
    The remainder of the screen is the log in window.

When I type in my username, and log in, It tells me that I am forced to change my password. (Why, This is the question about logging in I mentioned earlier)

So I change my password, and I am "logged in" It loads the desktop background, but there are no control bars of any type. There is NOTHING on the desktop except the mouse. The screen is also strangely sized.

If I can, I will attempt to find my camera to take a picture of the screen malfunction.
    (The Screen is totally fine, until the XFCE visual elements kick in)

So I can't do anything. Being a windows user, I tried to right click, and eventually Ctrl-Alt-Del, which just logged me out, and when I tried logging back in, it requested I change my pass again...

I'm guessing that XFCE is my problem. Is there another Desktop utility that I can use with 504 Debian?

Also, I need to keep it light, due to the 20GB limit I have right now.
    Also, if there are any live CDs for PowerPC systems, could you tell me? I've been looking for one."

As an update, I've just tried KDE, which also gives me installation errors during setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftagn View Post
    Also, I need to keep it light, due to the 20GB limit I have right now.
    Also, if there are any live CDs for PowerPC systems, could you tell me? I've been looking for one."

As an update, I've just tried KDE, which also gives me installation errors during setup.
    20GB should be more than enough for a basic installation, Dell ships out Ubuntu netbooks with 4GB HDDs.

Check for the powerpc download option on the download page.
    ( * [alpha][amd64][arm][armel][hppa][i386][ia64][mips][mipsel][powerpc][sparc][s390][source][multi-arch] )

Downloading Debian CD/DVD images via HTTP/FTP
    And here is the Ubuntu PPC Download page
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Just Joined!
    I'm on Day 2 of trying to install.
    I'll try ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I got Ubuntu to work mostly...