Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently joined a company where my predecessor used linux for everything. Historically I've always been a Windows Systems Engineer. Anyway, I've taken my new role by the scruff ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rsync n00b help.

I have recently joined a company where my predecessor used linux for everything. Historically I've always been a Windows Systems Engineer. Anyway, I've taken my new role by the scruff of the neck and learnt loads in my few weeks here.

He used rsync to replicate data from a local server to a remote server via site-to-site vpn. One of my colleagues has notified me that some data is missing from the remote server but it is there on the local server. I have found the rsync log (acp.log) file to check it's contents but it contains no errors.

I have found the rsync script for this task (/usr/local/acp_clips2) how do I run a "--list-only" command on this from putty?

rsync has tons of options,
    - including --exclude
    - or checking only certain parts of the corresponding files to determine change (for example: check only size, which may lead to files with different content)

So itīs a bit hard to help you without knowing more about the options you use.

What you can do without risk is adding this (from man rsync)
    -n, --dry-run show what would have been transferred
    and
    -v, --verbose

Revert those changes for real use of course
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.